Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 24V motor 99 Taurus DOHC. Motorcraft.com claims its a OE 190F stat. Ford will tell you its 180F stat. I think its Motorcraft # RT 1104. This is for both the same OE part number. There are many on this site who say this stat is 190F. When you look inside the stat it says 180F stat. Who should I believe, and why cant both Ford and Motorcraft get on the same page. I have had numerous issues with aftermarket stats, the one which seemed to hold up the longest and maintain 190F happend to be Napa. Almost every one on this site swear by a motorcraft stat, why, when you cant even get an answer between Ford/Motorcraft that matches. In cold weather this is when I have all my problems of getting a stable temp. In the summer you cant tell any diffrence. So, can anyone get a straight answer? FWIW, I just picked up my second Morocraft stat in 1 year. First of all the bottom brass ring was all blackened/tarnsihed up as If it had been in a car already. I asked the parts guy who told me Motorcraft dosent coat that ring like aftermarket stats, thats why it was all messed up. My best guess was that stat had already been in a car and returned. I have put in 8-10 stats in my car in 1 year to try and get it right. Every stat (except the Motocraft) that brass bottom ring was perfectly clean and shiny. I dont know what to believe anymore. In addition, how can you tell a motorcaft stat from a aftermarket (stant), as they look identical in every possible way. Of course there is no Motorcaft insignia on a Motorcraft stat, they both have a jiggle valve, they both say USA on the ring, and they say 54mm, I believe. How do I know I am getting what I paid for, and what is the damn temp? Thanks Guys...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I could swear stock is 195 or 190.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wouldnt think that 180 or 190 would make a huge difference. If you are worried about getting a bad aftermarket part, then go with the Motorcraft one.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Cooler equals less chance of detonation, but also less heat. Either will work though.

Personally I'm running a 160 without problems, minus the lack of getting roasted out of the cabin if I leave the heat on full anymore. Used to peak out at 117 degrees, now around 90 degrees. Figure a 180 puts you somewhere inbetween.

Stock on 98 Vulcan is 195, its stamped on the thermostat, just dug my old one out of the junk bin.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cooler equals less chance of detonation, but also less heat. Either will work though.

Personally I'm running a 160 without problems, minus the lack of getting roasted out of the cabin if I leave the heat on full anymore. Used to peak out at 117 degrees, now around 90 degrees. Figure a 180 puts you somewhere inbetween.

Stock on 98 Vulcan is 195, its stamped on the thermostat, just dug my old one out of the junk bin.
[/b]
We are talking 2 diffrent beasts although, vulcan vs duratec. And it seems in the winter the diffrence between a 180F and a 190F seems phenomenol. I can barely get the gauge above the cold mark after driving awhile. as soon as I stop at a light for a few minutes that gauge will drop well below the cold hash. I have verified a 20-30 degree temp drop letting it sit for a few minutes with a scantool. And this was with varied manufactures t-stats. (including Motorcraft). I put in a 190-192 stat from napa and the temp finally stabilized (last winter). I took that stat out for the summer to run a 180F stat, as I was getting some pinging, The outside temp dropped below 30F and the temp just wont remain stable. My real question is about the Motorcraft stat. Is it 180F or 190F. It is part #RT1104. Ford swears its 180F. Most the members on this board say its 190F. Motorcraft.com claims 190F. Both my temp senders are less than a year old. Why the discrepencies?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I don't think any Ford has come from the factory with anything but a 192F/88C t-stat since 1972 the year the EPA was born....

·
Premium Member
501 Posts

[/b]
The 160 will make the engine run rich in constant warm-up mode, especially in those Michigan winters. Normal operating temps for a Vulcan/Duratec is around 200F.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think any Ford has come from the factory with anything but a 192F/88C t-stat since 1972 the year the EPA was born....
[/b]
And If I look at the bottom (inside) the stat, it should have a 192 stamped inside? Would that be correct? Last year when I bought my first Motorcraft stat (RT1104) it had a 180 stamped in plain view inside. And it never got the temp up to spec, same issue I am having now. If you go to Motorcraft.com and pull up the t-stat for the 99 Taurus 3.0 24V DOHC it says clear as day 190F/88C. I had a conversation with Nidan (scott), last year about the temp of this stat, and he says his parts manager stated to him this particular stat was rated at 180F. I questioned this and he insisted it is 180F.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts