Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm doing some maintenance on my 2018 3.5L taurus at 45k miles and decided to change the antifreeze, I found that the original motorcraft Orange (vc-3) isn't available, I found some posts on the internet that there's a tsb to use the newer yellow antifreeze (vc-13) cause the orange turns into a gel which is bad for the 3.5 motor which has a history of water pump issues!
Anybody else have some input here?
I was thinking of draining out the old orange, filling with distilled water, run it for 15 minutes in my driveway, drain it again, fill with yellow 50/50 antifreeze or maybe just use prestone 50/50 which is cheaper and more readily available.
Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like you have the right answer.

Be sure to use Distilled only on this swap - I've heard the Yellow doesn't play too well with non-distilled water in the system.

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
Hi,
I'm doing some maintenance on my 2018 3.5L taurus at 45k miles and decided to change the antifreeze, I found that the original motorcraft Orange (vc-3) isn't available, I found some posts on the internet that there's a tsb to use the newer yellow antifreeze (vc-13) cause the orange turns into a gel which is bad for the 3.5 motor which has a history of water pump issues!
Anybody else have some input here?
I was thinking of draining out the old orange, filling with distilled water, run it for 15 minutes in my driveway, drain it again, fill with yellow 50/50 antifreeze or maybe just use prestone 50/50 which is cheaper and more readily available.
Thanks, Jerry
If you drain out the orange and refill with distilled h2o and drain, I'd initially refill the tank with yellow concentrate (100%) because you'll still have 1gal.+ of h2o in the block/engine if you just drain and don't remove freeze plugs. If you just refill with yellow 50/50 premix initially, your mix will be diluted. Btdt, lol!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I just ordered 1 gallon of yellow concentrated & 1 gallon of 50/50 on ebay.
Coolant capacity is 12.7 quarts, so if I collect the water I drain and measure it (I'll put it in leftover windshield washer fluid gallon jugs) I can figure how much is left in cooling system/engine. Fill with concentrated first, then add some distilled water equal to the difference to make it 50 50. Then top off with my 2nd gallon of 50 50, should have some left over, use it for topping off latter. Lol! 😃
Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last weekend I drained the orange antifreeze, filled with distilled water 3 times and it was coming out clear. I then blew into the tank and got a little more to drain. I added a gallon of concentrated yellow, and 1 1/2 quart of 50 50 yellow. That's all it would take. So I ran it through my calculator (4 quarts x 1)/12.7 quarts of capacity is .315. (1 1/2 quarts x 0.5)/12.7 is 0.06. .315+.06= .374. Oops need 50% mix. So I ordered another gallon of yellow concentrated.

I calculated if I drain 3 quarts of the .374 mix in the coolant system and add 3 quarts of concentrated I'll have 52.1% mix

(3x1)/12.7=.236
(9.7/12.7)x.374=.285
.236+.285= .521 or 52.1% mix

If I drain 4 quarts and add 4 quarts of concentrated it's 57.1%

antifreeze above 70% looses it thermal transfer characteristics. So I guess 57% is OK!

Thanks, Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts