Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows how long the oil filters from motorcraft are good for (rough estimates are fine). I put about 12-13,000 miles on the bull a year and use a high mileage Valvoline synthetic blend oil. I usually change every 3,000 miles, but want to start stretching out to 5000 or 6000 miles. Just want to make sure that the filter is good enough for this range.

·
Registered
629 Posts
QUOTE (ricer333 @ May 1 2009, 02:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722242
I was wondering if anyone knows how long the oil filters from motorcraft are good for (rough estimates are fine). I put about 12-13,000 miles on the bull a year and use a high mileage Valvoline synthetic blend oil. I usually change every 3,000 miles, but want to start stretching out to 5000 or 6000 miles. Just want to make sure that the filter is good enough for this range.[/b]
While I use full-sythetic engine oil in my Taurus, I run at least 5,000 miles on my Motorcraft oil filters--no problem whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I use Motorcraft syn blend and motorcraft oil filter and change oil at 5K. Oil comes out at change almost as clean as it went in. Great stuff.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Those filters will do that mileage easily.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
My old 78 Merc Zypher 3.3L had as much as 7500 mile OCI's specified for it's FL-1A filter, so they've been good for that kind of mileage for decades!!!!

Some thoughts for pondering.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Good quality filterscan run for a couple of changes or more between having to be changed out. I only do this with AC Delco filters on my bull (3 changes) and 2 changes for Motocraft. PureOne is probably okay too. I do it for environmental reasons, not money.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
QUOTE (saerandy @ May 2 2009, 08:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722436
Good quality filterscan run for a couple of changes or more between having to be changed out. I only do this with AC Delco filters on my bull (3 changes) and 2 changes for Motocraft. PureOne is probably okay too. I do it for environmental reasons, not money.[/b]
I have never heard of anyone using an oil filter for more than one change, and frankly, believe it to be an incredibly bad idea. I HAVE heard of people running a load of Royal Purple or Amsoil for 25k miles, changing the filter between 7500 and 10000 miles. The filter makes sure that all the byproducts of combustion that end up in the oil are filtered out, and that the oil doesn't have large particles that could potentially clog oil passages.

I would recommend that NO ONE follow saerandy's advice. It might work for you, buddy, but you're playing a dangerous game.

JR

·
Registered
313 Posts
Changing the oil every 3000mi but changing the filter every 6000-7500mi is fine, "buddy". You even point this out in your reply with a 10,000mi filter change (very common by the way) with folks using Amsoil.

My point is that you can probably go to 9000-12000mi on a filter as long as it's a good filter. For the record, a SynLube filter will last 10 years/100K miles, and the one that fits the Bull is $24.00. An OEM filter like Delco or Motocraft is high enough quality that you don't have to worry about it. Never attempt this with a Fram.

QUOTE (godspunk32 @ May 3 2009, 10:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722524
QUOTE (saerandy @ May 2 2009, 08:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722436
Good quality filterscan run for a couple of changes or more between having to be changed out. I only do this with AC Delco filters on my bull (3 changes) and 2 changes for Motocraft. PureOne is probably okay too. I do it for environmental reasons, not money.[/b]
I have never heard of anyone using an oil filter for more than one change, and frankly, believe it to be an incredibly bad idea. I HAVE heard of people running a load of Royal Purple or Amsoil for 25k miles, changing the filter between 7500 and 10000 miles. The filter makes sure that all the byproducts of combustion that end up in the oil are filtered out, and that the oil doesn't have large particles that could potentially clog oil passages.

I would recommend that NO ONE follow saerandy's advice. It might work for you, buddy, but you're playing a dangerous game.

JR
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Back in the 60's and 70's it was a standard question at service stations as to whether or not to change the filter. Most people only changed the filter every other oil change. It wasn't until the smaller engines came out that the concept of changing filters with every oil change became the norm.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I run my 2004 Duratec on full synthetic and Motorcraft filters. I change it some where between 7500 and 8000 miles. It usually gets Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1.
I always change the filter. For less than $4 I don't see the point in skimping on a filter.
The car runs very well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts