Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i just had the rear main seal changed on the car, it was leaking bad, now when i drive the car tons of smoke is coming from under the hood and the whole front underside is covered in oil i noticed the smoke is coming from the passenger side near the firewall, i want to know if its the rear main seal still or of its something else, what do you all think? i want to make sure if the shop is taking me for a ride

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
You will have to get under there and have a look. If you have lots of smoke you may have oil dripping on the Catalytic Converter. If this is the case it could potentially cause a fire. I would guess that if you have smoke from the passengers side it is more likely to be from the front cover or front crank seal dripping on the converter.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^^ +1

You took it to a shop for a repair, and it came back worse than it was. They obviously messed something up.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Unless you specifically told them to just change the rear main. Meaning you or someone pre-diagnosed the leak.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the rear main seal was definitely leaking, i saw it my self, and yes i did tell them to change that, however when they dropped the tranny they said the seal on the tranny side wasnt good either so i told them to change that as well since it was out. but the thing is, even though the rear main was leaking, it wasnt smoking at all, it was just dripping out, this seems like its coming from somewhere else that wasnt leaking. I had told the guy that i want this car to not leak any motor oil or tranny fluid, that to take care of the leaks if he spots any, and he said it was only the rear main seal and the tranny seal along with one of those connectors that plug into the tranny... so now my question is to you all, he said bring it sat (tomorrow) so he`ll clean the bottom and wipe out everywhere so he can see exactly where its coming from.. if its the main seal, he obviously has to do it again, but if its something else, should i flip out at them? o yeah another thing i think they had put synthetic motor oil, i dont know why, but would this cause the motor to "spring" a leak from crankshaft seal or timing cover?

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Imo, he should have thoroughly cleaned (maybe steamed) everything the first time if you requested a non-leaking engine.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
but if its something else, should i flip out at them?
I wouldn't flip out at them if something else is wrong. If you asked for your car to not leak, simply remind them of that fact. If it turns out to be something that would have been easily noticed, ask them for a break on the labour since it should have been done all together when you had it in. If they disagree with that, then it's time to start flipping out. People make mistakes, everyone should have a chance to correct it and that includes a business too. Yelling often gets you less far than being understandable about it. Even if they did it after being told off, they might not do the job to the standards that they would give to their nicer customers. Just imo.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if it is the main seal ( put in wrong or such) i dont want to pay a penny because it should have been done right the first time.. i was thinking about that before i go and flip on them cuz they could mess up something else if i go yell at them so... dropped it off this morning they`re going to call once they check it out, i figured they do good work since they been there pretty long and all 10 lifts has cars on em and cars anywhere else they can put em, go figure

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Flipping out definitely won't help. Really on a car that old I'd be shocked if only one main seal were bad. After 20+ years the flexible material, whether natural or synthetic, has shrunk and hardened. Moving the crankshaft position in the slightest to change the rear main seal could easily disturb the front main's lip enough to accelerate leakage there.

I'm just saying as someone who's driven a lot of 20+ year old cars & trucks, that even with the best of intentions when you're dealing with plastic and rubber, sometimes **** just breaks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay got the car back, the mech said that he tightend the oil pan and ran the car on the lift and didnt see any smoke or motor oil but by the time i got home, the car was in a clould of smoke again. it wasnt smoking AS bad, but still smoking none the less. i called, he said he sprayed cleaners on the underside and it needed to burn off.. so me and a buddy drove the car for about 5 hours last night and still was smoking by the end of the night, and had to top off motor oil. ideas at this point fellas?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
... and find a different mechanic.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
guess you`re right, if you want something done right gotta do it yourself. its just 800 bucks down the drain

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I overhauled my taurus transmission, I replaced the rear main seal as well. I also noticed a lot of smoke from the front and back, but diagnosed it to the two exhaust connections (from the exhaust manifold to the assembly I had to remove in order to drop the sub frame). While the shop manual did not call for exhaust flange gaskets, I bought two, installed them and the smoke disappeared.

Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm, but that wouldnt make me lose motor oil though, im going to jack it up tomorrow and see whats happening

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
checked it and it seems like the oil pan is leaking at the part where it U`s and possibley the rear main seal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts