Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autozone specs say that my vulcan needs 5.5 Qts? Its a 96 GL with a vulcan (Engine VIN:U)

For your 1996 FORD TAURUS:

SPEC-FLUID-TYPE/WT ? API SERVICE CLASSIFICATION "GF-2"

WEIGHT = * RECOMMENDED FOR ALL TEMPERATURES * 5W-30

OIL (CRANKCASE) CAPACITY 5 1/2 QUARTS INCLUDING FILTER

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm 5.5 qts :biggrin:

5 used to fill mine up always even with filter change.. residual oil accounts for the remaining .5 may be

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought Vulcan gets 4.5 w/filter . If I am not mistaken , there is a sticker in the engine compartment to state that.

I check mine tonight again but putting extra oil messes up cam sensor.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The book says 4.5, but I put in 5.5 to put it to the full mark. I just put in 6 quarts at the oil change and haven't had any problems (although I am not advocating that you do this)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've changed oil on a lot of vulcans at work and all of them took 5 quarts to put them at the full mark even thought the book says 4.5 quarts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys - Ever think that the dipstick on your cars is not accurate? If the manual calls for 4.5, I would put in 4.5. Ford is notorious for dipsticks that are inaccurate. My 99 duratec calls for 5.5 and that is what it gets. :)

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
my duratec calls for 5.5....and 5.5 fills it perfect

5 quarts in my grandmas 98 vulcan did it just fine

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am surprised that many owners are dismissing high possibility of cam sensor damage due to too much oil in crank case. I tought this was a fact...

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
When I do an oil and filter change in the 'tec, it gets just about 5 quarts to the full line. I then run the car for 100 miles and re-check, putting more in if necessary.

I'm not sure what damage too much oil could do to the cam position sensor. I would think that too much oil would just overflow the crankcase and make oil sit in the oil passages and not at the bottom of the engine...not sure though...

JR

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I've heard that too much oil can cause the oil to foam up and the added pressure could be bad. But I think that's for a lot more oil. On the Contour Duratec, people seemed to prefer putting in an extra quart and it was the SVT engines that died early because they were a little low on oil. There was also mention there of the dipsticks not being the correct length and getting the wrong readings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The motor oil we all use today has an anti-foaming agent in it, But, if you have foaming oil, check your head gasket, cause you have problems. Beside all of these Bull motors have a windage tray in them from the factory, I removed mine. It helped p/u oil pressure and the volume of the flow increased dramaticly

·
Registered
156 Posts
uhh...so what's a windage tray, where is it, how do you remove it, why would you want to remove it, what does it do, why did it increase your flow...?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by TheGreatZambini@Aug 29 2004, 09:16 PM
uhh...so what's a windage tray, where is it, how do you remove it, why would you want to remove it, what does it do, why did it increase your flow...?
:what:

G

·
Originally posted by TheGreatZambini@Aug 29 2004, 09:16 PM
Windage trays are mounted in the oil pan, and help control the oil from sloshing around in the pan. Basically, when you bounce around, and go around turns and stuff, the windage tray keeps the oil in the bottom of the pan, instead of sloshing around on your crankshaft and getting slung everywhere. The theory is that if the oil's sloshing around everywhere, there's less in the pan that can be used. This can result in possible oil starvation.

On the issue of cam sensor failure due to overfilling the oil, I've never heard of it. The electronic part of the sensor is away from any oil, but I'm guessing it's the o-ring that fails because of overfilling?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good explaination Bob, I would have tended to get way to technical, But, Just incase anyone was wondering, I'm not all that concerned about oil slosh because I use a baffeled pan. Also, I corrected any starvation problem by using a Gould's High flow pump, and 5+qts of 20w50 oil. I have always believed that any Hot Rodder worth his salt will always have a top line oil pressure gauge. With Just those two mods, I went from 25 to 32lbs. Thats almost twice the O.E.......... the orig. stroker pressure at Idle was 25lbs

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
For foaming oil, the head gasket would be the culprit because antifreeze would be getting into the oil and boiling, causing the foam, right?

JR

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah the duratecs say 5.5 quart for an oil change, but I don't think that they are counting an oil filter change in that every time, dont ask me why. Cause with six quart it hits the line perfect every time.

Nate Dogg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts