Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the hits just keep on a'comin' ....

Heard a noise today that seemed to be tires, so had somebody check on it. They couldn't find anything, but while looking, they found the motor mounts either worn, loose or broken. They couldn't tell which, only that the engine was moving more than it should. They tried to show me, and I could see it move, but I really don't understand how much it should or shouldn't.

Is this something a knucklehead can deal with ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have someone video your engine while you put the transmission in drive and brake torque it. Put the transmission in reverse and do the same. Post the video here and you will get replies.

·
Registered
133 Posts
All you gotta do is open hood, and sit as high in the seat as you can and brake torque it in Drive, or low. Then do the same in reverse, judging by which way the engine moves, you should be able to tell which mount, or mounts, are broken, just go easy on the gas doing this! both ways, don't just tromp on it!!! with the hood open you will see the motor want to sort of jump out of engine bay...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen it move. I want to know what to do about it. One guy said ya gotta pull the whole engine, which I ain't got the stuff to do.

·
Registered
347 Posts
First, I have never actually replaced a motor mount. I believe the only way to stabilize is to replace the faulty engine mount(s). I went to YouTube and found videos on how to do this task. If it is the 3.0L Vulcan the guy removed I believe three bolts, then used a 2X4 or 2X6 with floor jack on the oil pan to lift the engine just enough for clearance and removal of the motor mount. If Vulcan it apparently has a front right and a rear right motor mount. If Duratec the guy said engine has to come out, not sure though. My Vulcan has an engine stabilizer up in the area of the alternator brace, a little dog bone. I am not sure if a faulty dog bone stabilizer would allow the type of movement you see. I think that if the information is correct about a front right, and rear right I would replace both as I don't know how you could differentiate between the front and the rear being faulty.

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dad just finished changing the motor mounts on my car just tonight. It definitely is not an easy job. You have to jack it up, tack off the tires, pull off all the plastic guarding, and then you have to figure out how you're going to lift the motor up, you can use a jack, but it's very sketchy. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you don't know exactly what you're doing. It took my dad 2 days to do all 3. Best of luck.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
It's a pain in the ass especially on the Duratec. You'll want a plank of wood and some long extensions and lots of patience. If you're doing the trans mount it's a good time to replace the control arm if the bushings are worn out, you'll see why when you do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts