Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Taurus with almost 155,000 miles on it. Problem now is after I stop and then gas it to go, I get a clunking sound from what seems to be the right back of the engine. Almost feels like I can feel a clunk from my the peddle, but that could be in my head, lol. So I'm wondering if my motor mounts could be going bad? But I climbed under then when I was replacing my calipers and they "looked" fine. But not sure how to tell, if you can tell, if they are going bad.

Or if anyone has any other ideas on what the thunking/clunking sound could be.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yup, probably the mounts. I have the same problem.
Raise the hood, start the engine, and put it in gear while watching the engine through the windshield. If the engine jumps around when you put into Drive and jumps again when you put it into Reverse, your motor mounts are shot.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
:withstupid:

Take it one step further...

The engine will always move an inch or so when you test it that way. The mounts are designed to flex. However, a bad mount will allow the engine to move more than 2", generally speaking. If the engine flops back toward the firewall when you put it in "D", you need a front mount OR the bolt that holds the front mount to the engine has wiggled loose and fallen out. (That happened to my '92 once.) If the engine flops around when you put it in "R", you need a rear mount. Often, when you need one, you need both. Once the engine starts jumping around, it destroys any remaining mounts.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Kind of a pain... not TOO bad. I'd say its more of a pain than changing spark plugs, or an oil change. However, it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours if you have good lighting, good tools and a bit of know-how. Get a Haynes manual for your car so you have detailed instructions.

I got really lucky on the '92. I thought for sure both mounts were shot, because the whole engine lifted up about 8" when the car was in "D". The mounts are designed so that they'll still hold the engine down even if the rubber part fails. So I figured with all that movement, every mount on the engine and trans must have been destroyed. Well, my front mount wasn't attached to the engine at all, so it was mayhem under the hood. Fortunately, I spotted the missing bolt, and found a grade-8 bolt and lock washer at the hardware store. I managed to get by spending only $5, since I caught it before the rear mount and tranny mounts got destroyed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
does the clunking noise also happen when you go over bumps. Something else you might want to check is your bearing plates. These are the large rubber things at the top of your strut towers. A much more common break than engine mounts anyways. If you see a lot of cracks in them have them checked out, but they can also cause that condition since the struts are able to move more than they should. Also check your ball joints for freeplay.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the Haynes manual alerady. Have used it frequently for other repairs! Didn't know if I had to pull the enigne out to replace these things or not. I read up in the manual and it doesn't soudn too hard to do. We've done worse on my dh's car. The engine moves/jerks quite a bit when I put it in drive. When it goes in R, not much happens. I do recall a recall on some engine bolt, I wonder if that has anything to do with it, oops.

The clunk doesn't happen when I go over bumps, it's definately when I hit the gas/put it in drive. I do know I need new struts, which will happen as soon as this is fixed and more money comes in, lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The recall is for Subframe bolts which are known to snap because of corrosion due to road salts, in which I'm having problems with right now, fortunately, mine was sold in the salt belt, so they'll have to replace them. Thats the problem I believe you were talking about.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Gen 2 mounts aren't terribly hard to replace. I always managed to do them with the car on the ground and a floor jack. All three times I replaced the front mount on Vanessa that's how I did it.

3 times in 2 years... <_<

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by mrclean@May 26 2004, 08:02 PM
The recall is for Subframe bolts which are known to snap because of corrosion due to road salts, in which I'm having problems with right now, fortunately, mine was sold in the salt belt, so they'll have to replace them. Thats the problem I believe you were talking about.
Yes that is the recall I am referring to. I never had that done, even though I was notified about it, oops. But do think that might have anything to do with my clunking? I guess my best bet would be to get that recall done and then see if the problem is still there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
motor mounts

Yup, probably the mounts. I have the same problem.
Raise the hood, start the engine, and put it in gear while watching the engine through the windshield. If the engine jumps around when you put into Drive and jumps again when you put it into Reverse, your motor mounts are shot.
my engine shakes at idle would that be motor mounts or timing ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts