Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you have read my other post about tires i have a 2000 taurus se and goin to run the stock 215/60/16 but this time i would like any suggestions on what people have had luck with but this time if you have exprienced one of these harsh northeastern new york winters. i also have narrowed the ones i have found that i think would work well and they are

Cooper WheatherMaster S/T2

Michelin X-Ice Xi2

Pirelli Winter Carving Edge

any input on winter tires that have work well in very harsh winter conditions :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Okay, if you're actually looking for two sets of tires, you might want to do what I did. I live in Southern Ontario, so I get pretty much the same weather as you. Instead of buying two sets of tires, I have just installed all-weather tires (not to be confused with all-season tires). It's a Nokian WRG2 Nokian WRG2. Nokian is a Finnish company, so they do know something about winter driving. But this tire can be used all year round and has 100,000km (~62,000 miles) tread wear warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 on the above Nokian suggestion, worth investigating. ( I run a set of summer tires (Yokohama) and a separate set for winter.)

I used to drive a 95 Mustang in the Winter. A set of 4 Blizzaks on steel wheels worked great. I tried both the WS-60 and the Revo1. WS-60 was a stellar snow tire but a weak on ice, Revo1 is kinda the reverse. Both tires had bare pavement highway squirm.

I have also used Michelin X-Ice as well but felt they were below the Blizzaks.

Last winter I bought 4 Michelin X-Ice IIs and will buy them again depending on how they wear (only question remaining with this purchase). The XIce IIs felt great on the bare highway (60-70mph), Blizzaks weak spot.

my $.02

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Nokian WRG2 are so called Central Europe Winters that allow high speeds (on Autobahn) and good grip on wet and dry asphalt. They do have decent snow and ice handling as well but not as good as the best dedicated winter tires. I agree that they are better in winter than practically any all seasons tire.

If your climate favors two sets of tires (winter is cold and there's constant chance of ice / snow on the roads), I'd go with Nokian Hakka R studless winters. They are comfortable, silent and have very low rolling friction (saves gas) and most importantly have excellent snow and ice handling & grip. Their weak spot is warm weather and wet asphalt where they do not match all season tires. Of course this is true with practically all studless winters. Studded winters generally do slightly better under warm weather since the studs allow slightly harder rubber compound.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use firestone winterforce tires on my ranger and they work good, my parents use them on their taurus and I used them on my old one as well. My taurus currenty has kumho izenwis and they've worked pretty well for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts