Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back to ask even more questions! Haha, sorry about that but thanks for all the help.

In my previous post I was experiencing random stalling in my wife's 2005 Mercury Sable, Vin code S.

I did a lot hoping to find the problem without dropping the fuel tank, which I know is the wrong way to approach the problem but I REALLY didn't want to drop the fuel tank. :)

Well that's done. The car stalled when I attempted to leave a parking lot and unlike the previous times it did not restart. It felt like it wasn't getting fuel and I couldn't hear the fuel pump so I checked all the fuel system fuses, which all look fine. It threw codes P0191 and P0193 so I replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor. No change. I pulled the FRPS back out and turned the key to the on position, no fuel pump priming sound and no fuel made it to the fuel rail.

At this point I assume it is the fuel pump or the fuel pump driver module, please correct me if I'm incorrect.

1.) Is there any way that I can check the module and can it be checked before I drop the fuel tank?

2.) If it is the fuel pump would you recommend that I change just the pump itself or the entire assembly?

With the holidays coming up money being tight and I would like to check the driver module if possible before I order parts blindly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
One way to revive the fuel pump is to get a stick and hit the tank from underneath the car while someone is turning the key. When my dad owned our Taurus, one time it wouldn't start. He tried so long, it ran down the battery. He then called his mechanic who recommend hitting the tank. So he found a stick in the woods, and also found someone who could help jump start the car. Somebody was hitting the tank on the back side, and jumper cables attached on the front side, and lo and behold, it finally started. He drove it straight to the shop, but at least saved a tow. With that of course, there was no doubt about the fuel pump needing replacing.

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
Unplug the connector from the FPDM and run 12 V and ground to the pump and see if it runs. If it runs, FPDM is likely bad. If pump runs when hotwired, plug harness back into FPRM and see if the pump runs. If pump doesnt run, replace the FPDM.

FPDM failure is somewhat common. I carry a known good spare I picked up at the JY in the trunk of my 05 Tec "just in case."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I will try to locate the FPDM today. I haven't had the time to work on it until today, for an hour or so and a few hours tomorrow.

Would a bad FPDM throw a code?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I found the proper procedure to check.

All fuses have been checked.

The relay was swapped with no change.

Checked the inertia cut off switch, confirmed it is functioning and get 12v from each wire with the key in the on position.

Next is to climb in the trunk and confirm power at the FPDM.

Question time. Which wires am I checking for ground and 12v? Which color are the two?

Once I confirm the proper wire color I will send power and ground to the fuel pump to rule out the FPDM before I bother going through the pain of dropping the tank.

Thank you again for the direction and any advice you can share.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts