Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a little more information in the way of a compairison to add.

I just pull off a stop light with wes behind me today. He has a '98 Duratec that ran high 15's at the Lepear track after stripping it down. I had the same stuff stripped from my car at Norwalk except the passanger seat and I was running low 16's. Well today as we pulled off the light, I just started walking away from him. I expecially noticed it iwhen we shifted. His car just couldn't keep up. He finally maintains about the same speed in 4th, but at that point I shut it down at around 105.

Just thought everyone should know.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww, since he got the tranny in, he has gained that low end back. Think he had an exhaust leak fixed too.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seem to have lost a lot of low-end with the new tranny
He just transposed the t and the s in "lots" and meant to say "and" rather then "of"

Now his story is that he "missed a shift"..

-Dan

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Well considering the quality of Taurus transaxle hardware I don't blame him.

B

·
0 Posts
Couple questions and comments. How the hell do you lose low end with a new trans? Also, how do you miss a shift with an automatic? I think ol' Wessy's got the strap on a little too tight.

Also, as far as I know, Dan's car is mechanically the same now as it was at Norwalk, save for the exhaust tips, which as much as ricers would like to believe, don't add HP.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I can't wait till the track opens up in march around here and I can get some real data from a control atmosphere. I wanna strip the passanger seat, the back seat cushion and seat back, of course the amp and sub box. The spare tire. I possibly want to run Wes's old 15's in front. I've even considered removing the center console and just puting in a lightweight wooden frame to support the shifter.

-Dan

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Feb 10 2004, 11:09 PM
Couple questions and comments. How the hell do you lose low end with a new trans? Also, how do you miss a shift with an automatic? I think ol' Wessy's got the strap on a little too tight.

Also, as far as I know, Dan's car is mechanically the same now as it was at Norwalk, save for the exhaust tips, which as much as ricers would like to believe, don't add HP.
I sometimes forget to shift when I manually shift my car.

What I do is I start off in drive, let the car shift 1-2 automatically. Then I shift down to 2 and hold that shift to about 6800 rpm then shift to 3rd.

First gear shifts fine by itself. Second shifts well short of redline so that's why I shift manually. Trouble with shifting manually is that it takes a split second to react to your input and will hit the rev limiter if you don't shift early.

Now some people have found the best results by leaving it in drive. I've found the opposite with my car. Not a huge difference but a difference nonetheless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts