Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor bull is starting to get SAS.

On RockAuto, Monroe Original Quality rear quick struts w/taxi package, and front Economy quick struts is $401 shipped.

Same rear suspension (sticking with it) with "original ride quality" front quick struts is $477.
So, is it really worth the extra $76 for "original quality"?
This is my DD, no expenses are really spared with it. I put Monroe Econo-Matic front quick struts in the Sable and have no concerns with it. Just don't want to replace it sooner than "Original Quality".

TIA, took me a long time to save up for this.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Never heard much good about the longevity of Monroe anything to be honest. My Monroe's were junk not even 30K later, and that's iN SC. Maybe quality has improved, but SensaTracs for a guy I know with an 05 are already junk,

I would give your business to KYB if you can for the fronts. And for the rears, do the Taxi Package. Rears are easy to deal with anyways compared to the fronts.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read that KYB makes a stiffer spring which is better IMO. Original ride is way too soft for me. Lots of dips and bumps here, a smooth road is a needle in a haystack. Flat roads arent common either so I think I'll try KYB in the front since the front bounces a lot. Monroe is the only one to offer the taxi package.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Stay away from "Monroe-matic" strut combo's. I put them in my Windstar and the strut mounts make a hell of a noise. I have to replace them 3 years and about 25K miles later.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Never heard much good about the longevity of Monroe anything to be honest. My Monroe's were junk not even 30K later, and that's iN SC. Maybe quality has improved, but SensaTracs for a guy I know with an 05 are already junk,

I would give your business to KYB if you can for the fronts. And for the rears, do the Taxi Package. Rears are easy to deal with anyways compared to the fronts.
Agree on KYB ready struts. I put them on my '03 Sable sedan, very nice, one more coil on the spring. And they come in L and R like OEM so the sway bar links will not bind like Monroe with R on both sides. I have seen them at the JY, bent/broken sway bar link on the L side.

My only issue with those struts was:
They had way too thick paint on the bottom where they engage the knuckle. Had to sand it off after a trial run and they did not go in right, just pealing paint.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
No one seems to make good struts these days. I put in a set over a year ago, but they had SAS whereas the previous set didn't. Sensatrak have a lifetime warranty and the eco ones have a very limited warranty, either 90 days or one year. Anyway, I find out that there's a defect in the struts so Monroe sent me a new set and also sent me a tag for the old ones. So I put the new ones in a few months ago. Now I'm starting to hear some clunking noise in the rear. Mechanic thinks it the strut mounts in the rear. So here we go again. There's also bad reviews here about the KYB. I think I'd try Moog at this point. The fronts I did a couple years ago and they've been ok so far, but again lifetime warranty, the first set the mounts started making noise after 20-30k, but I didn't really know it was them until I changed the struts and the noise went away.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I have installed Monroe Quick Struts from Advanced Auto on two of my Taurus. The rears on one are four years old and are still good and the fronts are three years old. They were good so I installed them on my 2006 all round this year.

As far as the sway bar link binding, it didn't seem to bother me. The issue on the sway bar link attachment is it is shaped like a C channel, so one side is ok but the other side could interfere. I added a washer and all is fine.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I have installed Monroe Quick Struts from Advanced Auto on two of my Taurus. The rears on one are four years old and are still good and the fronts are three years old. They were good so I installed them on my 2006 all round this year.

As far as the sway bar link binding, it didn't seem to bother me. The issue on the sway bar link attachment is it is shaped like a C channel, so one side is ok but the other side could interfere. I added a washer and all is fine.
Good thought about the washer on the sway bar link. I was thinking, if I had to deal with it, I would take my angle grinder to the bracket. It seems way over sized for it's use.

I have KYB on both my '03 Sables and my '02 Lin Cont. All seem good. Did have a round with KYB on the struts (not with springs). Missing top nut in the pack. They could not supply a replacement nut, out of stock. Odd size so I ordered ebay nut, $5.50 delivered, 2 days. Rockauto offered to take the struts back but I need to get going.

My '01 Sable original struts, BJ, sway bar links, tie rod ends, all in good order. 130K.

-chart-

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all the replies. Im surprised to find moog as the cheapest front quick strut. I would love if it was a lot more firm than original so i don't bounce around so much.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Thanks to all the replies. Im surprised to find moog as the cheapest front quick strut. I would love if it was a lot more firm than original so i don't bounce around so much.
You just missed a Monroe rebate. They were cheaper with the rebate. They usually do another one in the spring.

·
Registered
358 Posts
How much more are OEM Gen3 rear struts?
I thought we came to a conclusion that Gen3 slightly firmer struts over MOOG Variable coils was the only way to have a moderately long lasting fix for SAS?

·
Registered
442 Posts
How much more are OEM Gen3 rear struts?
I thought we came to a conclusion that Gen3 slightly firmer struts over MOOG Variable coils was the only way to have a moderately long lasting fix for SAS?
I think the consensus is that G4 struts all around are better/firmer; use MOOG CC859 springs rear, and G3 springs(stiffer than G4) front.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well unfortunately this will have to wait because my rear brake is chirping. Drum getting piping hot. Thanks to all the replies, I feel more confident in what to get now.
I'll get there eventually :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think the consensus is that G4 struts all around are better/firmer; use MOOG CC859 springs rear, and G3 springs(stiffer than G4) front.
Is it the springs or the strut that are gonna be firmer? And Gen4 struts are firmer then my 4.5's?
So:
G4 struts with G3 springs in the front
G4 struts with Moog springs in the back
That's how you firm up a G4.5?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
And firm up a G4. Moog cc859 from a Gen 2 are great! Cargoooo cooillls.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The KYB front struts is what I wanted but they are pricey. The MOOGs are cheap, but are they firm like the KYB? I'm tired of falling out of the door or into the passenger seat on corners and bouncing up and down over bumps.

I also need strut mounts, mine are blown. Motorcraft mounts are $20 cheaper than KYB but I need something that lasts. I want to get the taxi package rear quick struts but I want to make sure the rear end won't be lifted. The spring seems a lot longer than the regular.
Basically I want a firm ride that will last. (And a rear end that doesn't look lifted) This suspension has under 40k miles on it and it's shot. I believe it's all Motorcraft.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just put in the KYB quick struts in the front of my 03 Sable. They were fairly inexpensive at $75 each on Amazon.

They are much stiffer than stock! The one down side is they sit a solid inch higher than stock. Although they'll probably settle over time.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I just put in the KYB quick struts in the front of my 03 Sable. They were fairly inexpensive at $75 each on Amazon.

They are much stiffer than stock! The one down side is they sit a solid inch higher than stock. Although they'll probably settle over time.
I used KYB on my '03 sedan. Works well. See pic, they have one more turn on the coil, more coil on the bottom pad so much less likely to break on the bottom coil. Also, left and right so less chance of binding the sway bar link.

Only issue with KYB. They get the paint very thick and makes it hard to get it in the knuckle. I sanded the paint off after one try. Have since done 2 other cars, and same thick paint, easy fix. Tip of the day. ;)

Been year and a half, all is well on the first one.

-chart-

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
13 Participants
Rochev
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing