Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I may be asking a "weird" question but, what do I need to get more HP from my vulcan V-6..I mean, I guess should be asking: is there anything that will give it more "bang for the dollar" BEFORE I spend a asinin amount of money where I dont need to (like say if there is a "chip" for my car, would I buy that first then a pair of headers? etc.)...if that makes sense???
*slaps self on head a few times and wishes I new more termonology about engines*
I've seen ya'll are better to ask these sort of things then a "local corner garage". thanks for any help. newbie Mike

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You could put a torque strap on the engine. It's basically a chain that ties teh motor down so it won't move so much. It's suppose to give you a little bit more power since it gets more power to the wheels and it'll cost you less than $10.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
A chip is a good idea, but you want that to be your last mod, that way the chip tuner can optimize your modifications and get the car to run right with them.

Morana has a lot of stuff for the vulcan but I've heard people say their **** sucks. So, shop around before you buy anything.

If I were you, I'd get nitrous, exhaust cut-out, and a chip. Best bang for your buck right there, it should shave a second or two off your e/t and cost around $1000. And if you want to take it a little further, you can send your heads out to get ported and polished.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
a second or 2??? you may be exadarating a bit. NO2 MAYBE a secsod.

let me ask you a few questions

1. how much do you know about your car (or the vulcan)?
2. how much are you willing to learn? *
3. how fast do you want to go?
4. how much are you willing to spend to go faster?
5. how attached are you to this car?
6. how solid is your car (not the body the inportant stuff)
7. do you have a back up car?
8. is this your first car?
9. have you ever ben in/driven a 3.8 taurus?
10. have you ever been in/driven a SHO? and or duratec?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by somedude@Aug 25 2004, 03:01 PM
a second or 2??? you may be exadarating a bit. NO2 MAYBE a secsod.
I think 15's are very reasonable with the mods I listed, unless my memory isn't accurate.

I think it was bigbadblackbull that had a gen 3 vulcan on juice and IIRC he broke into 14's. It's been a while, maybe if he's still lurking the boards he can correct me if I'm wrong.

Pat Norris put n2o on his gen 3 vulcan, too, but I can't remember his times.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by somedude@Aug 25 2004, 03:01 PM

let me ask you a few questions

1. how much do you know about your car (or the vulcan)?
2. how much are you willing to learn? *
3. how fast do you want to go?
4. how much are you willing to spend to go faster?
5. how attached are you to this car?
6. how solid is your car (not the body the inportant stuff)
7. do you have a back up car?
8. is this your first car?
9. have you ever ben in/driven a 3.8 taurus?
10. have you ever been in/driven a SHO? and or duratec?
all right, thanks to work I have only read these posts today(sunday):

Some dude-->

1. the car I know a bit about, through research when I was told I could have the car. The vulcan I only know that it was one of two V-6's for taurie.
2.I am WILLING to learn all I can absorb.
3.fast? well you know...I want to go fast, but it will be daily driven not track driven. I have a thing about cars: I love the "sleeper" look. If I can piss off a rice driver at least once a week, it makes me happy (LOL)
4. money? well, as most of us out there, I have to spend as I have, and well having, needing, and wanting are 3 intirely different things. If I knew WHAT I needed, then I would know what to save...
5. attached to the car? Well, I was given the car by my mom-in-law, so seling it right now would have to wait a little bit...I will do some minor work to her before I sell it, unless of course I fall in love with my new mods...*smile*
6. solid in which ways? I am not understanding what you mean...
7. I have a back up...well it would be the wife drop me off at work, but I guess that is better then a taxi all the time.
8. No this isnt my first. I love doing different things to my cars to "make them mine" even if it is just one mod.
9. been in/ driven a 3.8??? nope
and 10. been in/ driven a SHO or duretec??? neither. I have heard raves about them though.

well Ihope that helps...

Mikehawk---->
I hate NOS!!! (Hope I dont offend any NOSers out there) I just believe in Natural Aspired vehicles. But what is that "exshaust cut out"??? do you mean the rear bumper?

Thanks, from the desert, Mike

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
An exhaust cut-out is a valve that will change the direction of the exhaust flow from the stock pipes and mufflers to an open exhaust system, thereby reducing the restriction of the stock mufflers.

Also, using NOS doesn't mean that your car isn't still naturally aspirated. Naturally aspirated cars are all cars that don't use a forced induction system. Forced induction would include a turbo or supercharger. N2O is considered a "power adder," but doesn't change the induction status.

Also, not to discourage you or anything, but you're going to be hard pressed to pull much power out of a 17 year old, 130K mile Vulcan...it's just not really worth it.
But...to each his own, right?

JR

**Edit** Also, please try to use the search funtion to find information about these types of mods. You can try searching through the garages to find information about what other people have done to their Vulcans and PM them for details.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts