Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by Speedy@Jan 24 2004, 04:35 PM
okay I drove a mondeo while I was in england...you are going to have to rework the whole clutch and tranny all together...the mondeo has a max output of 87 hp. and around 100 lb/ft of torque.. Not very much at all. However fun it was to drive, but I dont think the mondeo tranny can hold up to our heavy cars.. might want to think about a heavy duty pressure plate and a heavy duty tranny for the mondeo if you can find a tranny for it somewhere. Cause the mondeo that I was driving the cluth that was on it could not take the pressure of hard driving..It would slip all the time when I was doing rally style driving over in Euro.
87hp, huh? Please note the following for the Ford Mondeo in the UK:

1.8L gasoline I4 (base engine) - 123hp, 126tq, 10.8s 0-62mph
2.5L gasoline V6 Duratec - 168hp, 162tq, 8.5s 0-62mph
3.0L gasoline V6 Duratec - 222hp, 206tq, 7.5s 0-62mph
2.0L diesel - 114hp, 210tq, 10.8s 0-62mph

I could not find the weight of the Taurus on either the Canadian or US Ford web sites. The weight of the 3.0L Mondeo = 1495kg = 3289lbs. I suspect this is not much lighter than the Taurus. The Mondeo's wheelbase is shy of the Taurus' by 2mm. The Mondeo is about a foot shorter than the Taurus.

The max towing weight of the Taurus is 1750 lbs. The max towing weight of the 3.0L Mondeo is about 4000 lbs.

It's clear that the Mondeo tranny can more than hold up to "our heavy cars".

And, just for the record, what do you mean by, "rally style driving"? I've been rallying for over 15 years in Canada and the UK and I can't imagine anyone finding a road empty enough in the UK for such driving. Especially in an "87hp Mondeo". Please advise.

Mark
95 SHO

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris@Jan 23 2004, 03:50 PM
A mondeo is a contour I believe and I believe the word was that the svt contour 5 speed would bolt to a 99+ duratec 3.0 block from a Taurus. I remember reading it somewhere in a contour 3.0 swap. So The mondeo unit is probably the same one as that.
The Mondeo is not a Contour any more. The original Mondeo and the Contour were indeed brothers.

Mark
95 SHO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.