Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the Mondeo tranny from their 3.0 duratec bolt onto the 3.0 US Duratec??? They come in manuals and would probably be one of the easiest ways to put a standard tranny in our tauruses. I'm just wondering if it would work or not?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
as far as I know, nobody has put a 5 speed in the taurus with a 'tec. We're always thought the way to go would be to take the one from a cougar or SVT contour. I imagine the Mondeo is the same concept. You'll have to fool the computer, mount the clutch, and pray the tranny can mount to something, but it could work.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
There's no room under there for a 5 speed. The transmission was built specifically to fit the Taurus/Sable, if you could somehow mount it there are so many other problems you're going to run into.

I still think the best choice for this project is the SHO transmission from a g1 or g2. It's actually made for the car, and things can be machined to bolt up. Bolting it on is the least of your worries.

·
Registered
263 Posts
A mondeo is a contour I believe and I believe the word was that the svt contour 5 speed would bolt to a 99+ duratec 3.0 block from a Taurus. I remember reading it somewhere in a contour 3.0 swap. So The mondeo unit is probably the same one as that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
one big question... who knows what kind of line the driveshafts make to the wheels on a contour compared to a taurus? i think that there is an ideal angle and everything, but more than likely ford won't make every vehicle on the same theory. the driveshafts from the 2 cars more than likely won't be the same length, also i think i heard that the RH shaft will interfere with the oil pan on a taurus (even though they keep the 3.0 oil pan when swapping into a contour), so maybe using a 2.5 contour oil pan will solve this problem. I haven't ever measured anything so i don't know, but it's something to think about anyway. plus- the mondeo is a european car. how are you going to get a several-hundred pound transmission here with a budget that landed you a taurus in the first place?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by zja@Jan 23 2004, 05:08 PM
plus- the mondeo is a european car. how are you going to get a several-hundred pound transmission here with a budget that landed you a taurus in the first place?
Answer: Buy a 5-speed Countor or Cougar in the US. They use the Ford MTX-75 5-speed tranny, the same as the Mondeo ST200.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
as long as the duratec is a 99 and up, yes it will bolt up but you have to cut off the crank that comes out of the engine( i believe it is also known as a pilot bushing)

if the duratec is older, it will not easly bolt up, the bell housing is diffrent and there is alot of fabrication.

go to contour.org and do some research, as for fitting in a taurus, it should fit just fine, with custom drive axels of course!

Brad

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone ever swapped a 5-speed into a gen 3?

·
Registered
176 Posts
okay I drove a mondeo while I was in england...you are going to have to rework the whole clutch and tranny all together...the mondeo has a max output of 87 hp. and around 100 lb/ft of torque.. Not very much at all. However fun it was to drive, but I dont think the mondeo tranny can hold up to our heavy cars.. might want to think about a heavy duty pressure plate and a heavy duty tranny for the mondeo if you can find a tranny for it somewhere. Cause the mondeo that I was driving the cluth that was on it could not take the pressure of hard driving..It would slip all the time when I was doing rally style driving over in Euro.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by idriveataurus@Jan 24 2004, 11:39 AM
nope, wanna be the first?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by XLSuruaT+Jan 24 2004, 04:35 PM-->QUOTE (XLSuruaT @ Jan 24 2004, 04:35 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-idriveataurus
@Jan 24 2004, 11:39 AM
nope, wanna be the first?
[/b]
I would love to be, the only problem = MONEY and KNOW-HOW

Lol, but if anyone wants to donate the knowledge and most importantly the money, I'll gladly accept it

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by Speedy@Jan 24 2004, 04:35 PM
okay I drove a mondeo while I was in england...you are going to have to rework the whole clutch and tranny all together...the mondeo has a max output of 87 hp. and around 100 lb/ft of torque.. Not very much at all. However fun it was to drive, but I dont think the mondeo tranny can hold up to our heavy cars.. might want to think about a heavy duty pressure plate and a heavy duty tranny for the mondeo if you can find a tranny for it somewhere. Cause the mondeo that I was driving the cluth that was on it could not take the pressure of hard driving..It would slip all the time when I was doing rally style driving over in Euro.
87hp, huh? Please note the following for the Ford Mondeo in the UK:

1.8L gasoline I4 (base engine) - 123hp, 126tq, 10.8s 0-62mph
2.5L gasoline V6 Duratec - 168hp, 162tq, 8.5s 0-62mph
3.0L gasoline V6 Duratec - 222hp, 206tq, 7.5s 0-62mph
2.0L diesel - 114hp, 210tq, 10.8s 0-62mph

I could not find the weight of the Taurus on either the Canadian or US Ford web sites. The weight of the 3.0L Mondeo = 1495kg = 3289lbs. I suspect this is not much lighter than the Taurus. The Mondeo's wheelbase is shy of the Taurus' by 2mm. The Mondeo is about a foot shorter than the Taurus.

The max towing weight of the Taurus is 1750 lbs. The max towing weight of the 3.0L Mondeo is about 4000 lbs.

It's clear that the Mondeo tranny can more than hold up to "our heavy cars".

And, just for the record, what do you mean by, "rally style driving"? I've been rallying for over 15 years in Canada and the UK and I can't imagine anyone finding a road empty enough in the UK for such driving. Especially in an "87hp Mondeo". Please advise.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris@Jan 23 2004, 03:50 PM
A mondeo is a contour I believe and I believe the word was that the svt contour 5 speed would bolt to a 99+ duratec 3.0 block from a Taurus. I remember reading it somewhere in a contour 3.0 swap. So The mondeo unit is probably the same one as that.
The Mondeo is not a Contour any more. The original Mondeo and the Contour were indeed brothers.

Mark
95 SHO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts