Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G

·
Think it would bolt up to a GEN3 Duratec?? hmm... it looks good, and seems to flow air very well!!! Let me know, I'll take it!

SableSal

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't mind losing gobs of low end torque. There's no secondaries.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that you mention it, it wouldn't take much to knife the edges between the primary and secondary ports of the LIM.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by metalliman@Aug 4 2004, 09:49 PM
Now that you mention it, it wouldn't take much to knife the edges between the primary and secondary ports of the LIM.
just do that and use 2001 gaskets.

but i doubt theres much to gain, especially with the modifications needed. (lack of EGR, etc)

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
but the gen 3 is programed for them and have no low end when stuck open or removed. If one were to use a gen 4 pcm and make the neccesary adjustments, then you could get away with no secondaries.

Brad

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the gen 4's also have milder cams to compensate for the lack of secondaries.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Aug 5 2004, 03:25 AM
these will not fit on the Gen 3 heads. The Gen 4 duractec with oval intake ports could use it.
why not? cause unless i missed somthing, they will......

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by SEL2000@Aug 5 2004, 10:54 AM
what is a secondary? :huh:
Gen 3 duratecs have 2 intake runners for each cylinder. The first set stays open all the time. The second set has butterfly valves that open at around 3500 RPM. This system helps low end torque by keeping the second set of runners closed at low rpms, while maximizing airflow for power at higher rpms.

G

·
G4's have composite plastic intakes, and are noticably smoother on the inside of the runners than the G3 Tec. Why would someone want to bolt a heatsink onto the intake if they don't have one now? I'm not seeing any benefit to using this intake on a G4, and honestly it looks amazingly similar to the G3 Tec's upper intake. What looks like two separate ports on the G3 UIM is actually one large oval port, with a thin wall casting in the middle. I'd like to speak to the rocket scientist that designed this piece..... :lol:

*edit*

Looked at it again, and aesthetically, it's a little better looking on the outside than a G3 UIM. I can make a G3 UIM look like that, and in fact I'm in the process of doing two of them now. Better off to make you and I both happy, and let me "Pimp Your UIM". Mad fabrication skills man, that's all I'm gonna say.... :lol:

G

·
How much would this cost? I am VERY Interested Bob. I like the way that thing looks. But lets try something else too. Engraving DURATEC on the UIM in a cool style font. ITALICS TOO!

Sal

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just thought maybe this intake would flow better than the G4's or G3's, seeing how the engine is rated for 220 HP. Probably not, considering the G3 intake already seems to flow quite well, especially with some simple port matching.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by SableSal@Aug 5 2004, 07:40 PM
How much would this cost? I am VERY Interested Bob. I like the way that thing looks. But lets try something else too. Engraving DURATEC on the UIM in a cool style font. ITALICS TOO!

Sal
alot....takes alot of man hours, and the mondeo intake is almost identicle to the taurus one, so why bother? unless you are polishing it to a bright finish.

G

·
Why doesn't the gen 4 Duratecs have them if they are so good?

Which is a better running/performing engine than the other? Gen 3 or 4 Duratec?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts