Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to start trying to beef my 02 taurus up. Eventually i plan on getting a turbo charger installed, but that won't be for a while. My two big questions now are; will the stock internals be able to handle a solid amount of boost? And does anyone know of shocks/struts or even coilovers that will work for making the car a little more rigid and possibly lowering it?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I've not seen anyone put a turbo on these cars but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done. Please keep us updated on what you come up with. As far as struts and handling there's lots of options and room for improvement there. I've use the progressive springs on a 2000 Taurus and it really stiffened it up then you can modify the strut mount to lower it if you like. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I guess it would really depend on which engine you have. The 3.0 Vulcan OHV was designed to be just what it is. Nothing more, and nothing less. Adding boost to it, in my opinion, is barking up the wrong tree.

That said, can it be done.. SURE! But its all going to be custom work as there was never a kit designed for this platform that I know of. The limiting factors are going to be welding skills, and money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn that's what i was afraid of reading. I'm 99% sure mine has the vulcan, and I'd already figured that i was going to need to get everything in the engine custom designed if i had to go that route. Really most everything that'll increase power is going to have to be fabricated/pulled from something else. I've found an aftermarket intake that was designed for the same year Rangers that should fit on easy enough, but for the time being I'm going to pop a spectre air filter into the stock intake. I run full synthetic oil (which made a huge difference in how high the engine will smoothly rev) and I'm going to be installing a 180 degree thermostat this week. I'll be doing a sea foam treatment before i change the oil this next week as well. My next steps will be doing a tune up and switching to iridium spark plugs, get the resonator cut off, and then install a new muffler (the one i plan on getting should make my baby scream.) After that I plan on going to a dyno and having those guys work their magic with the computer, and seeing what kind of power i can make before doing any serious modifications. If i can find a small enough turbo kit i might not mess with the internal stuff, but the one I've been looking at is relatively large, especially for a stock NA engine (again, it's a long while off before i plan on trying that.) I plan on making this a one of a kind taurus, but any tips, tricks, suggestions, hacks, whatever would be seriously appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anybody knows of ANY parts that will exceed oem performance send them my way, or me their way. A fuel pump, injectors, and an ignition system are a few of the important one's i need to find.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Look for a good transmission repair shop if you decide to do any power mods. Transmissions are a weak link. Other weak link is rust depending on where you live. It will fall apart before you get it finished if you live in the rust belt where salt is used in the winter.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Someone did do a turbo on a Vulcan on here several years ago, and he was basically a laughing stock. He also found out the hard way that the head gasket and head bolt torque isn't nearly sufficient for any more than like 5PSI, which gets you nothing on an engine that flows so poorly.

For the money you would spend, it's FAR cheaper to just get a turbo car to begin with or something else that's fast and use your Taurus as a daily/backup. That's what I do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for the heads up about the tranny. I'm not too worried about that as the car has never been in an accident and only has 75k miles on it. I got it at 32k two years back from CO, and have kept up with all of my maintenance stuff. The car spent most of its time in my grandma's garage before i got it. The only rust I've spotted is in the front passenger side wheel base, and that was very minimal, it could probably be sanded off by hand, get a coat of that anti rust paint and be called good.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
If it has dogleg rust just behind the rear doors it is the beginning of the end. It may look like surface rust but it really is perforated from behind. Check your rocker panels under the black plastic covers. Just keep it in mind before you dump money into mods.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Don't bother with a 180 deg t-stat, it will not help, 194 works best. The PCM is not programmable so no "magic". Please don't show up for a dyno tune; you might be humiliated. I recommend installing a Top Fuel engine, tube frame, and parachutes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts