Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one tell me if there is a company that does computor reprogramming for the 1996 taurus with 3 litre duratec.

I am in australia and as we only had a few of these no one here does them.

Ian

·
Registered
374 Posts
The best modification is to remove the Duratec and replace it with a Vulcan :D

There is no "company" that does reprogramming, but Paul (Shonimz, I think that is how you spell it) has a ton of experience with SCT and has developed a tune for our cars.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
give ur VIN number to ur dealer. they'll do the reprogramming.
????????????? Can you add anything else in any post other than "take it to a dealer"???? They dont do mods in the first place.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
give ur VIN number to ur dealer. they'll do the reprogramming.
A dealer will "flash" a new replacement PCM to factory stock spec only, they are prohibited by law (here in the USA, anyhow) from tuning any values whatsoever. They might not even do a stock program if they didn't sell the chip, either.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would never take a Vulcan over a Duratec. given a choice. I have used both, and the Duratec gets about the same gas mileage, but has so much more power. Reliability? I haven't had any major problems with my 'Tec. Maintenance wise, sure the 'Tec is a bit harder to work on, but maintenance is maintenance.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would never take a Vulcan over a Duratec. given a choice. I have used both, and the Duratec gets about the same gas mileage, but has so much more power. Reliability? I haven't had any major problems with my 'Tec. Maintenance wise, sure the 'Tec is a bit harder to work on, but maintenance is maintenance.
Never? Not even my vulcan? I have 10 less hp than a 'tec, and a lot more torque, and I don't have to rev it as high to get there. There isn't a lot of aftermarket for our cars, but there's more for a vulcan than there is for a 'tec.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Never? Not even my vulcan? I have 10 less hp than a 'tec, and a lot more torque, and I don't have to rev it as high to get there. There isn't a lot of aftermarket for our cars, but there's more for a vulcan than there is for a 'tec.
Check out the Contour's then they are getting some good HP numbers. You can also look at a Noble as well...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Why would I do that why I could have my 'Tec which has 18 hp over a regular 'Tec. The Duratec produces just as much torque down low as the Vulcan does, the difference is that the 'Tec can continue revving when the Vulcan runs out of steam.

My 'Tec has not even really been modified yet either. I have all my significant mods posted in my garage.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yep, it was dynoed before my exhaust system was installed and after. It was also dynoed at the same ambient temperature, since that has an effect.

As far as a performance radiator, Performance Radiator makes them. They have more fins and a slightly larger core.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Can someone post a definitive answer on whether buying a tune chip, such as SCT Eliminator sold by SCT worth the cost? I believe the cost just over $300, but supposedly improve performance and mpg. I personally would love to get one if it makes transmission work better by improving the shift points.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Ok, the chips do work very well, on the 'Tec by altering the fuel maps, timing, to use a higher octane fuel, you can squeeze between 15 - 30 hp more out of the 'Tec. Alternately you can have an economy tune. Yes, you can firm up the shifts and make them faster and crisper, which reduces wear and tear ont he bands and clutches, however, the stock valve body is not meant to take the increased line pressure, and it can sometimes pop the overdrive out. This can be fixed with just valve body work, they have an update kit that fixes the problems. Sometimes the overdrive will fail without the performance mods. It was a design defect. Still a problem like this is well worth it in the total reduced wear ad tear on the trans. It is far easier to repair on part int he valve body than to rebuild a transmission, and the tuner definitely makes the whole transmission more dependable.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Ok, the chips do work very well, on the 'Tec by altering the fuel maps, timing, to use a higher octane fuel, you can squeeze between 15 - 30 hp more out of the 'Tec.
Not on tuning alone. You will be lucky if you see 5-10hp. Otherwise post a dyno. If other mods are present then more is possible.

I would recommend going with SHOZ123 and having him tune an SCT. I belive he sells them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts