Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, recently i did some mods to my taurus , the thing is, when i dedit at first the car was very fast and it recorded a 9.00 sec 0-60,it was before mods 12.87 sec 0-60.so can any one teel me why 0-60 now is 10.56 ??? :angry: and what have caused this... help meeeeeeeeeeeeeee :( :( :notworthy:

the mods are :

-Custom Cold Air Intake, cone Filter
-dual muffler exhaust (direct flow)
-Removed resonator
-Removed Catalytic converter
-lowering springs
-splitfire spark plugs
-spark plugs wires

some friends told me that the ignition coils are damaged from thes mods????
is that true... :blink:

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Did it get warmer out? Duratecs like cold weather and perform better when it's cold out. Try again at like 2 in the morning next time.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
My 'tec actually likes warm weather better. The thing is like a damn rocket when it's like 80 degrees out, and is rather sluggish when it's like 50...

JR

·
Registered
230 Posts
a great poart of the taurus ECU is it's ability to adapt to conditions. when you mod your bull it will run better/faster, untill the computer learns to compensate for it. try resetting your computer and if you are running faster, that is your problem.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by saurus@Jun 21 2004, 11:45 AM
the mods are :

-Removed resonator
-lowering springs
-splitfire spark plugs
-spark plugs wires

Hi saurus,

Sounds like you've been pretty busy. :wink:

I'm thinking that with the removed resonator/cats and the dual exhausts, you've reduced the backpressure in the exhaust system to a point where your low to midrange torque has suffered. On the high end, your car likely screams, but off the line it has no power.

:EDIT: Whoops, I just reread the post... originally after modifications it ran a 9 sec 0-60, and now it runs a 10.5. The computer has likely "adapted" to the mods you've done. Resetting the comp will clear the codes, but it will take a little while for the car to relearn the settings.

Are you running a "true-dual" setup or are you running a collector pipe?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by saurus@Jun 21 2004, 11:45 AM
hi, recently i did some mods to my taurus , the thing is, when i dedit at first the car was very fast and it recorded a 9.00 sec 0-60,it was before mods 12.87 sec 0-60.so can any one teel me why 0-60 now is 10.56 ??? :angry: and what have caused this... help meeeeeeeeeeeeeee :( :( :notworthy:

the mods are :

-Removed resonator
-lowering springs
-splitfire spark plugs
-spark plugs wires

some friends told me that the ignition coils are damaged from thes mods????
is that true... :blink:
ok, is that your car in your avatar? if so, do you have a bigger image of it? is that photoshopped? cause that looks like....non-stock :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by pimpin90GL@Jun 21 2004, 12:35 PM
a great poart of the taurus ECU is it's ability to adapt to conditions. when you mod your bull it will run better/faster, untill the computer learns to compensate for it. try resetting your computer and if you are running faster, that is your problem.
I disagree with this. The EEC is adaptive mostly for a/f at cruise (and some idle air stuff and otehr stuff not relevant here)...how will making mods cause it to "learn around" the mods? Unless you get like a MAF or somehting like that that would shift the a/f...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 21 2004, 12:25 PM
My 'tec actually likes warm weather better. The thing is like a damn rocket when it's like 80 degrees out, and is rather sluggish when it's like 50...

JR
Dyno it when cold and dyno it when hot...I'll bet you it will make more power when the air is denser out and there is less heat-soak, i.e when it is colder out. Even if it "feels" better when it is hot out...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue+Jun 21 2004, 12:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TrueBlue @ Jun 21 2004, 12:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-saurus@Jun 21 2004, 11:45 AM
the mods are :

-Removed resonator
-lowering springs
-splitfire spark plugs
-spark plugs wires

Hi saurus,

I'm thinking that with the removed resonator/cats and the dual exhausts, you've reduced the backpressure in the exhaust system to a point where your low to midrange torque has suffered. On the high end, your car likely screams, but off the line it has no power.

:EDIT: Whoops, I just reread the post... originally after modifications it ran a 9 sec 0-60, and now it runs a 10.5. The computer has likely "adapted" to the mods you've done. Resetting the comp will clear the codes, but it will take a little while for the car to relearn the settings.

Are you running a "true-dual" setup or are you running a collector pipe? [/b][/quote]
Other than the CAI, nothting there will affect the MAF function in such a way that the EEC has to "learn" around it. All the EEC really learns is a/f corrections for cruise based on a 70 or 90 cell table (depending on the year) that is load vs RPM...

This is mostly an issue only when you change MAF sensor when *some* chip manufactures shift stuff around that affect a/f and then the EEC learns the correciton and adapts it at WOT. IF you do not have a chip, or a MAF, then this is not really an issue

With our chips we re-do the waythe EEC learns, so this is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by americanmotorsport.com+Jun 21 2004, 02:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (americanmotorsport.com @ Jun 21 2004, 02:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@Jun 21 2004, 12:25 PM
My 'tec actually likes warm weather better.  The thing is like a damn rocket when it's like 80 degrees out, and is rather sluggish when it's like 50...

JR
Dyno it when cold and dyno it when hot...I'll bet you it will make more power when the air is denser out and there is less heat-soak, i.e when it is colder out. Even if it "feels" better when it is hot out... [/b][/quote]
I'm sure it will make more power when it's cold. As for how it feels, when it's cold it feels like it takes longer for the engine to wind out, even after the engine has been fully warmed up. When it's warm out, the engine is much more responsive...

JR

·
Registered
437 Posts
If it makes more power when it is cold, it will also be faster when it is cold. You can also try getting some 1/4 that will show this...

Denser air will always make mroe higher VE, thus higher cyl. pressures, thus more power.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by americanmotorsport.com+Jun 21 2004, 02:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (americanmotorsport.com @ Jun 21 2004, 02:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 12:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-saurus
@Jun 21 2004, 11:45 AM
the mods are :

-Removed resonator
-lowering springs
-splitfire spark plugs
-spark plugs wires

Hi saurus,

Are you running a "true-dual" setup or are you running a collector pipe?
Other than the CAI, nothting there will affect the MAF function in such a way that the EEC has to "learn" around it. All the EEC really learns is a/f corrections for cruise based on a 70 or 90 cell table (depending on the year) that is load vs RPM...

This is mostly an issue only when you change MAF sensor when *some* chip manufactures shift stuff around that affect a/f and then the EEC learns the correciton and adapts it at WOT. IF you do not have a chip, or a MAF, then this is not really an issue

With our chips we re-do the waythe EEC learns, so this is not an issue. [/b][/quote]
thank fore your interest,but the thing is i live out the usa and re-flashing or buying a chip is a disaser for me do to the distance from my place and the usa.so if i can mail my computer to u it by a mail company ... ok for u ... and thanks fore the help to all of u ,u all seem to be very good in cars.

TrueBlue u seems to be a nice person to me and i looked to ur care and it looked very cool to me,and thank for u help..... regarden the( Are you running a "true-dual" setup or are you running a collector pipe?

that well be a collector pipe,and the care feels very slow from stand steal

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I would suggest getting rid of the splitfire plugs. I have heard of alot of problems with Bosch plugs lately, especially the splitfire and the quad post (+4) plugs. I obviously can't say that this is the problem, but it might be contributing to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by silvapain@Jun 22 2004, 07:54 PM
I would suggest getting rid of the splitfire plugs. I have heard of alot of problems with Bosch plugs lately, especially the splitfire and the quad post (+4) plugs. I obviously can't say that this is the problem, but it might be contributing to it.
i think it cod be that is the problem,and the air filter is a fake one.is that a bad thing fore the car.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
How are you timing your 0-60 times? :headscratch: 9 seconds doesn't sound right... is this a 'tec or a Vulcan? I would expect a 'tec to be close to 9 seconds STOCK, and a Vulcan certainly shouldn't be much higher than 10. Lightly modded 'tecs are capable of mid-15-second quarter mile runs. I don't think you could pull that off with a 0-60 time of over 8 seconds. Even the Vulcan should be running low 16s in the 1/4 with those mods... I don't see how that would be possible with a 9 second 0-60... :headscratch:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Is your gas tank at the same level each time? The extra weight between a full and empty tank will increase you times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts