Discussion Starter #1
I JUST BOUGHT A 1995 TAURUS GL WITH 36000 MILES AND I WOULD
LIKE TO KNOW WHAT MODIFICATIONS I CAN DO TO GET MORE POWER
AND PERFORMANCE OUT OF MY CAR!!!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Welcome to TCCA

Im gonna go ahead and say all this before the new guy gets a "search comment".

I also have a 95 Gl. Theres not alot of parts made for this car. For starters rip the air silencer out of your airbox. Theres a write up on the modifactions links. Next get a K&N filter for it your local Advanced auto parts should have it. They cost about fourty bucks. After that you can go get a new muffler I chose flowmaster and it sounds good also. That cost 180, for me at least. Next go for a performance chip and IIRC they cost around 300 last time I read a thread on one. Then you could do a torque strap and theres a write up on that also in the modifactions area. Other than that it goes to swapping an SHO engine in and Supercharging.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Firestly do a search and then poke around the main page for a while.

how much did you pay for it.

and as much as I love the vulcan (I use to own one) take ATauri_92 advice if you can, a nice sho can easly be had for 3,500 and a decent one can be had for around 2k. before you say no at least test drive one, you wont be disapointed.

oh yeah welcome

·
Registered
32 Posts
if hes guna sell it to get a faster car, why would you keep him limited to a taurus. there are much better cars to go fast in. get something else would be my advice, thats what i did. im not starting a fight. please dont jump on me for this.

G

·
Originally posted by 91tsiawd5spd@Oct 5 2004, 07:40 PM
if hes guna sell it to get a faster car, why would you keep him limited to a taurus. there are much better cars to go fast in. get something else would be my advice, thats what i did. im not starting a fight. please dont jump on me for this.
We are recommending a SHO because this is the Taurus Car Club and that's what the majority of us have come to love.

At any rate, I'd keep what you've got. It's got incredibly low mileage and will not be a maintenance ***** like a SHO. ;) No offense to SHO owners and as much as I love SHO's, in my personal opinion I would not get a SHO if you need a reliable daily driver, especially if you aren't able to or don't want to do most of your own work because it can get really expensive to outsource. I would, however, get a SHO as a "play car" or weekend car, they are definitely very fun cars to have. :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Not to be rude. but please check the capslock key when you post... :)

Now... other than what been mentioned, there's a few simple things that you can do for fairly cheap. I'll try and cover the stuff that almost anybody can handle, and mention some things that, if you can't do them, a good mechanic can advise you on.

The first, and arguably cheapest mod is to get some new plugs. A lot of the other members here swear by Bosch platinum fours... I've never tried them, but I did move from the stock Autolite coppertops to the midgrade Bosch Platinums; they've done some good. Also doesn't cost much.
The K&N Filtercharger air filter is pretty much the standard around here (also what I have), but there's also the Fram Airhog, although I have no idea what it's like. Maybe someone else around here can mention their experiences with them.
Also, look into some quality fluids... never underestimate the help that good oil, tranny oil, and coolant will do your car in everyday driving. Or on a redlight drag with a import modder.

Moving into the slightly more expensive areas, try a high quality distributor cap and high grade spark plug wires. There's also a step up from just switching to a K&N or Fram reusable air filter, and that's moving to a Cold Air Intake... basically, you get some aluminum tube, have it bent to run from the intake manifold to the air well (which is in the front driver side wheel well on a Gen2), and position a cone filter in the immediate area of the air well. There's also the option of upgrading the exhaust; I'm going to be moving up to a Dynomax Catback-Split 2tip, but a number of other members may have other, equally valid suggestions.

Now, for the more mechanically complex mods, you can add larger fuel injectors, switch to a higher volume fuel pump, move to a beefier transmission, and have your engine ported and polished. I'm sure there's a couple other things that can be done, but I can't think of any right off. I'm sure the other members will be able to fill you in on some of the realistic ones.

Now, as far as the chip goes, I don't know a lot about them, but I was always under the impression that it was best to complete as many mods as possible prior to chipping your car, so that all mods affecting the program are in when you get it programmed. The chip of choice here in the forums seems to be from American Motorsports, but again, I think the chip is a matter of personal preference, although IIRC, American Motorsports has been really helpful, and has a custom 4 program chip that comes with a handheld/code-reader that you can use to switch between programs.

I hope I covered a fair amount of the options, and if I left any out, the other members should be able to cover them... good luck, and have fun! :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
Originally posted by 91tsiawd5spd@Oct 5 2004, 04:40 PM
Sorry about the double post. I hate to mention it, 91tsiawd5spd, but the other members have a point... this is a forum about taurii, and for people looking to get the most out of them. The Ford Taurus sells something like 850,000 units in Morth America, every year, because it's a reliable, good-looking family sedan with some good punch to begin with... so, there's bound to be some people that want the safety and reliability of a family sedan, with more performance as well. My father drives a '99 Malibu LS, and the damn thing goes like a raped ape, so I don't see why I can't want a car that can keep up with the import modders.

Besides... here in Edmonton, there aren't very many modders that'll see me coming... actually, there aren't many that see me coming now. I've lost count of the number of 'allegedly' modded-out riceburners I've already taken off the lights, and I've barely touched my car. If you don't like the idea of a quick Taurus or Sable, I guess I'll never see you at a ROTB... which is a shame, because I know I'm not the only person here that'd like to show you what a Taurus can do. Especially a non-SHO Taurus.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Originally posted by 91tsiawd5spd@Oct 5 2004, 04:40 PM
Sorry about the double post. I hate to mention it, 91tsiawd5spd, but the other members have a point... this is a forum about taurii, and for people looking to get the most out of them. The Ford Taurus sells something like 850,000 units in Morth America, every year, because it's a reliable, good-looking family sedan with some good punch to begin with... so, there's bound to be some people that want the safety and reliability of a family sedan, with more performance as well. My father drives a '99 Malibu LS, and the damn thing goes like a raped ape, so I don't see why I can't want a car that can keep up with the import modders.

Besides... here in Edmonton, there aren't very many modders that'll see me coming... actually, there aren't many that see me coming now. I've lost count of the number of 'allegedly' modded-out riceburners I've already taken off the lights, and I've barely touched my car. If you don't like the idea of a quick Taurus or Sable, I guess I'll never see you at a ROTB... which is a shame, because I know I'm not the only person here that'd like to show you what a Taurus can do. Especially a non-SHO Taurus.
amen/nuff said/PWN3D!/dominated B)

·
Registered
959 Posts
B) Thanks, Rubix... my roomie thinks your avatar is hysterical!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts