Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if any of you guys will be too keen on this idea but....

What if i modified my tauruses hood to open in the opposite direction than it normally does???

yay or nay?

·
Registered
746 Posts
ive actually thought about that before, but dont think ill be doing it anytime soon... kind of one of those things that i cant really see having much benefit, even for a show car.

however, when i start my show car mods this summer, i am going to shave all the handles, and suicide the rear doors. and i wanna get a trunk that opens like this one

i know there is a way to do it... but i dont want it to lose any rigidity from the way it normally mounts, cause im gonna have ALOT of pressure in the trunk

edit: i know thats pretty ricey, just one of the first pictures i came accross on my hard drive

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Hmmm...the only functional benefit I can see from that mod we be easier acces to the rear of the engine bay. It might help changing the spark plugs on the rear bank of the motor. As far as style, it's not really my taste.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I think it'd be SHHWWEEET
Unique and original for a Bull. It wouldn't be rice, just SHHWWEEET

Go for it. And don't forget the "How To" when it's done

·
Registered
369 Posts
Go for man. :cool:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by Capital Punishment@Feb 20 2004, 08:31 AM
I think it'd be pointless. Then again, i think a flip flop trunk is pointless too. Do whatever your heart desires.
not to be attacking you, but...

its a purely aesthetic mod, doesent have ot have a point. it will change the way the car looks, it doesent have to be practical, or serve a function... thats the point of an aesthetic modification. like i said, not calling you out on it, but there arent many aesthetic mods that do serve a function

A

·
0 Posts
I say go for it if you have the time/engergy/and skillz to. I think it might be too difficult to try. And could be a pita for accessing the front of the engine bay. But it sure would look cool

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by hoss@Feb 20 2004, 08:37 AM
there arent many aesthetic mods that do serve a function
Actaully, I think there are:

Wing = downforce to keep your wheels on the ground at around 200+mph(not saying a civic will ever go that fast, but if it does, the rear, non-driving wheels aren't going anywhere
)

body kit = reduce wind resistance and prevent wind from going under the car and creating lift

bright headlights and fog lights = better visibility at night

Rims with low pro tires = better cornering

The rest gets a little iffy,but I'm sure I could make something up for them later.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I no if I did that to my Gen3 it would be a pain in the @$$ to get in there to check your fluid and put in oil...however it would be unique, just sumthing to keep in mind. I know everyone loves the backwords hood on my '80 RX-7
...and its in rough shape but that turns heads just the way it opens...So I am sure it would turn more heads on your taurus...and you could also have fun confusing a few dealers
. Only other thing I would worry about is how the hood would react in an accident...you want to mount it in such a way were its not gonna fly into your windsheild...may sound funny but I know a woman that was killed in a head on collision with a hood like that, I wont go into details

J

·
0 Posts
That would probably be a tough mod, but cool. I say go for it if you're willing to put in the time/effort/$.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
It would look cool, but the second you need to check fluids or do anything maintenance related, you'll be cursing that thing or just be taking it off completely before doing any work under the hood.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I think it's a pretty cool idea. Maybe if you did it like GM did on their '80s LeSabres, it'd kickass! I also think it'd be easier to work on the motor since the regular Taurus hood doesn't go up far enough anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Ever think of a split hood kit?
http://www.autoloc.com/detail.lasso?itemid=sphood

I also saw a car once with the hood opening to the side, and the trunk opening to the opposite direction. Really trick and really cool IMO even though it was a honda or acura, it was tastefully done.

Another cool conversion that has been around for a few years is the Lambo door conversion. So far I have only seen this on 2 door cars, but imagine a Taurus with all for doors opening lambo style..... http://www.autoloc.com/products/lambo.lasso

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
a boy did it to his s-10 using the stock parts too. It is not as smooth as it could be but then again his s-10 does have a 350 under the hood. i don't know how he did.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I kinda dig the idea of the reverse flip hood. I say go for it, post some pics and a how to, and let the others decide how they feel about it. good luck.

p.s I want to see how it turns out because i might do that mod someday too.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Feb 20 2004, 10:25 PM
Ever think of a split hood kit?
http://www.autoloc.com/detail.lasso?itemid=sphood

I also saw a car once with the hood opening to the side, and the trunk opening to the opposite direction. Really trick and really cool IMO even though it was a honda or acura, it was tastefully done.

Another cool conversion that has been around for a few years is the Lambo door conversion. So far I have only seen this on 2 door cars, but imagine a Taurus with all for doors opening lambo style..... http://www.autoloc.com/products/lambo.lasso
i have actually seen a car with a split hood. that is the s***!!!!!!!!!!! one of the awesomest mods i have ever seen. but the amount of custom work on that is astronomical. not to mention the room for the extra hardware.

as for the lambo doors, i also thought about lambo-ing the fronts, while suiciding the rears. thought that might be pretty bad a**, but a little over the top. i dont know about lambo-ing all 4, that would be pretty sweet, but i just dont know if it would fit a 4 door. but after i suicide the rears, i might lambo the fronts, i think that would be pretty bad a**... but i will have to think about it, and see if someone can retro fit the lambo kit to a taurus

too... many... mods... not, enough... money/time

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
lambo fronts+suicide-lambo rears= a whole new universe of unique!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes@Feb 21 2004, 03:46 AM
lambo fronts+suicide-lambo rears= a whole new universe of unique!
exactly what i was thinking... bt have you ever seen a small spave that is trying to do too much? might be too busy. who knows, i might still do it, ill have to wait and see

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
What about gullwing doors? DMC style yo! Now about that hover conversion....

-mobiuslogic

1 - 20 of 22 Posts