Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finished (first round at least, going to update it shortly) the tail light mod on the wagon. A couple weeks ago, I purchased another set of tail lights and the tail gate light bar for the wagon. I preped all of this and used my new body match spray paint to cover that ugly black / brown tail light color. Once painted, I outlined the lights with black pinstripe tape ( this will be changed to a better tape soon) to accetn the lights. I installed this yesterday to have it ready for the show I went to today. I got alot of positive comments from this, as another point to make this wagon more uniqe than others around.
Here is the first pic for your consideration. :D

[attachment=33236:0523_8mod.JPG]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Look great. Should do the centennial mod and instead of black do Red B)
-Alex

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Scuba9898 @ May 23 2010, 05:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806326
Look great. Should do the centennial mod and instead of black do Red B)
-Alex[/b]
I was talking about that just today at the show. The only problem, I have not found a second set of lights to play with. With every mod that I do to parts, I do it to a second set so if something goes wrong, I still have my car in 1 piece and I am not rushing to find parts. But, to reply to your idea, that is now added to the list of future mods for the wagon.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
:werd: Yeah, Matador Red Centennial-style headlights would really set off the front end on your wagon. :thumb:

Did you win any more trophies? :x:

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, no trophy this week. This was a big charity show put on by the GM plant in Parma, there were over 400 cars today and the voting was peoples choice for the top 25 only. I can do my best at smaller shows, but its a good feeling to go to these big shows and prove that a daily driver can look better than some of these garage / trailer queens. It was funny, GM had a small radio control race track set up, so of course I had to give it a try. BTW, I used to be a "professional" radio control racer, sponsoder by as many as 7 different companies. Well, I won my race and ended up getting a trophy for that. It has a car with the GM emblems on it, and the car, is a Gen 3 taurus. :rofl2:
Here is another look at the tail lights sent from a friend who showed up today.

[attachment=33248:carshow_047a.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That looks great man! :cool_shades: You thought about painting the license plate area as well?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about that, but 2 things are holding me back. FIRST, you have to take the latch assembly apart to get that panel out and SECOND, I think that little bit of black breaks up the color in the back. Right now I think I am going to leave it black, but who knows with me, I may paint it tomorrow..LOL :rofl2:

·
Registered
224 Posts
looks sweet!....what about doing a tint to the taillights (just a light nightshade a light 2 or 3 coats)...i really think that would look cool B)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Had a G3 wagon and now have a G4 and love them both for their good looks, interior room and better rear suspension and disk brakes. But, the paint job on the rear light assembly's looks fantastic. Did you see this done on another G3/G4 wagon or is yours the first? What kind of prep was needed and what did you do to the raised line around the lights?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (jndejure @ May 24 2010, 11:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806487
Had a G3 wagon and now have a G4 and love them both for their good looks, interior room and better rear suspension and disk brakes. But, the paint job on the rear light assembly's looks fantastic. Did you see this done on another G3/G4 wagon or is yours the first? What kind of prep was needed and what did you do to the raised line around the lights?[/b]
I also had a '92 wagon in the past and now the '03. I have never seen this done yet on another, not saying it isnt out there though. I just never liked the looks of the black / brown plastic bar across the tail gate and with nothing else out there for wagon lights, the only thing I could think of was do a body match paint job to blend it all in. As far as prep, well, I bought this assembly from pull a part, so I needed to polish the light faces to bring them back to life, then I masked them along the line your talking about. After that, I scuffed the complete assembly with scotchbrite pads and then washed it down with alcohol. Next as a coat of duplicolor primer and I let that sit for 2 days before I lightly scuffed the peimer with the scotchbrite then another alcohol bath. The paint was put on in light coats till the color was even and close enough to the car. Next was a thin black pinstripe outline of the lights to help set them out from the body color.
I thought about a light shade of nightshade on this, and even painting over the red reflector above the back up lights, but thought better of it just becasue now that everything blends into the body better, I want the lights as visable as possible.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info. It sure makes the car a one of a kind and gives it a custom look without being radical in any way. Most would just think that it is the "new" Taurus wagon, the job looks so factory right. I like it just the way you did it, the black pin stripe finishes the job off just right. Can't say anything more than - really nice.

·
Registered
276 Posts
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET
And I do mean that.
I had seen another member's silver G3 wagon with the top strip body color, but I thought it looked a little unbalanced. Fully painting it though seems to be perfect. I really, really like the clean look of it. @[email protected]

·
Registered
997 Posts
May I ask what the contenental mod is?
I will admit, wagons have bad names and most ARE not the prettiest things. Ones around here are just beat to end. But then...I still love em XD I wanna make a SHO wagon possibly, later in life of course. Anywho, I see some SEXY ASS wagons here...if not better than the sedans ;) so very nice. If your not too many states away, I wanna see this thing.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Those tails look awesome. Did you clearcoat over your hard work? It will give it more of a factory-quality gloss look and will also help them last longer.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again everyone. I'm way over here in Ohio, a bit of a ride from Utah. :lol2:

I didnt do a clear over the paint on the lights. I used a single stage custom blended sray from Sherwin Williams Auto Paint Center. Beteen the quality of the paint and all the wax and polish on it, its blending really good now. That picture is from the first day I had it out in the sun, more than a year ago now.

I have thought about just adding G4 over the plate, just to mess with people. But right now I like the de-badged look. The only thing that says taurus on the car is the rocker stripe, all other factory badges are gone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts