Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercury Sable DOHC
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Sable DOHC 112K. Florida car.
I've been using conventional oil, and changed every 5k miles (changed to 10w-30 because of small leaks on the exhaust and that stopped it).
I've been trying to find more info on extended oil and filters, and decided to go with Mobil1 Extended performance full synthetic (NOT high mileage), and Fram XG2, which are both rated for 20k miles. Of course I won't fall for the marketing part of 20k, but is it safe to go 8000 miles between oil changes, instead of 5000 with the conventional? I simply want to have more time between oil changes, and also use a higher quality oil.
I looked for info in the forums, but I only found scattered mentions of this oil and higher end filters.
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
You can go an easy 10K on that oil with zero problems in a normal car like this, so go for it! It's really good for performance vehicle applications too because you can still get 10K out of it, unless you're on a race track or something.

·
Registered
2003 Mercury Sable DOHC
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can go an easy 10K on that oil with zero problems in a normal car like this, so go for it! It's really good for performance vehicle applications too because you can still get 10K out of it, unless you're on a race track or something.
That sounds encouraging, thanks!

·
Registered
2003 Mercury Sable DOHC
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible to "uncover" older leaks that now are not active anymore? A lot of mixed info on the internet about that. Hard to know what to believe. Anyone having any good / bad experiences after switching to full synthetic?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts