Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I have been working with computers for years (Over 10 years that's for sure), I never decided to take the A+. My college is offering it, so I figured... Might as well. Might help me find a better job since I am losing the one I am at now, and I want out of retail.

A bit nervous, everyone tells me I should do just fine.

Anyone else certified? Or have other certs? Personally, I think they are bullshit... I've met too many certified people who have their heads up their asses. Anyone can read a book and take a test, but to actually perform the work is a whole different story. Sadly... Employers disagree with my philosophy, and require it. Guess I gotta join the bandwagon :p

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I Havnt Got Certs.... Been at a Tech Support/Desktop position for 3 and a half years... we've hired 3 people with Certs.... and Fired 3 people with certs... unfortunately some people think that a piece of paper means your a master pc guru... where some of them are only book smart... but if you got 10 years experience then i dont think its a bad thing to get your certs....... should help get a better job

The 3 people we fired... all had A+ Network + MCSA etc etc etc... and were more burnt then a doorknob in a house fire

not saying thats the norm tho because some people with their certs are really good at their jobs... eventually i plan to get mine once i get more experience in the field

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't work with anyone with a cert, except for CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional). It's a cert you get when doing security work with government systems.

The only people I've known that have had certs and knew their ass from their elbow were people with Cisco certs. Other than that, A+ is a complete waste of time.

JR

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
yeah i have an a+. Pretty easy to pass imo.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Im studying for my A+ now, also doing some microsoft certification. Figured Id do it now before they transition over to vista and have to relearn everything.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Im studying for my A+ now, also doing some microsoft certification. Figured Id do it now before they transition over to vista and have to relearn everything.
[/b]
the majority of businesses haven't even transitioned to vista. I would imagine with 7 coming out (and being much better) most will wait for it. From what I read, m$ is trying to bill 7 as a 98 second edition type deal. Like hey 7 doesnt replace vista, its concurrent with it....uh huh, well see how long that lasts.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
the majority of businesses haven't even transitioned to vista. I would imagine with 7 coming out (and being much better) most will wait for it. From what I read, m$ is trying to bill 7 as a 98 second edition type deal. Like hey 7 doesnt replace vista, its concurrent with it....uh huh, well see how long that lasts.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah... Windows 7 was how they should have done it the first time.... MS should make Win7 a FREE upgrade for Vista owners.

However, I have to reschedule my A+ exam.... Comcast has invited me to a job interview on the same day and 1 hour earlier. They will conflict, so tomorrow I'll have to call my college up to reschedule the exam to Friday morning. :D

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Hmm, I'm fine with vista can't understand all the hate. I switched my Laptop and Desktop over about a year ago from XP and won't go back.

I got my A+ Certification back in 2000, it was easy at the time and I passed with 90% on both tests (before they switched to a large number score like the SAT tests). I've been doing desktop support for a large company for about 4 years now and have not been keeping up with hardware stuff at all so I don't think I'd be able to pass the new one now without studying. Back when I took it the test was all about way out of date hardware and standards (like 486 processors, DOS, and Windows 3.1, when 98 and 2000 was out).

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I doubt any businesses will switch from xp to anything for at least 5 more years. Xp runs fine, they already paid for it, it runs everything they need, why switch?

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
I doubt any businesses will switch from xp to anything for at least 5 more years. Xp runs fine, they already paid for it, it runs everything they need, why switch?
[/b]
I disagaree. 5 years is 2014. XP will be 11 years old. You just don't/can't use 11 year old OS for current technology. No one swapped to Vista....that's fine. They're going to have to jump to Windows 7 though...it's the equivalent of Win98 users swapping over to XP.

And for the 5 year analogy...do you think today, 14 years later, you could run Win95 on a computer and have full compatibility?

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I disagaree. 5 years is 2014. XP will be 11 years old. You just don't/can't use 11 year old OS for current technology. No one swapped to Vista....that's fine. They're going to have to jump to Windows 7 though...it's the equivalent of Win98 users swapping over to XP.

And for the 5 year analogy...do you think today, 14 years later, you could run Win95 on a computer and have full compatibility?
[/b][/quote]

Were still using Win 98 and XP boxes for FTP from the mainframe, of course there in the process of being phased out, XP is far more advanced for the time then Win 95 was, Theres big differences between 95/98 and XP, but theres little differences on the underlying code between XP/Vista/Win7. Anything made for XP will run on the other 2 (besides drivers), I doubt many business applications will be designed for Win 7 and not be backwards compatible for XP unless its using some special features, which most business applications dont tend to use.

Hell most the applications we have running on XP are backwards compatible to run on 98, not much as changed. The hardware is the only limitation. The OS is almost negligible.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
[/b]
I work for the largest defense subcontractor in the world, and we're switching to Vista for our unclassified infrastructure in Q1 2009.

As for Windows 7 being a free upgrade from Windows Vista, Microsoft has already announced that... /. linkie.

Vista really isn't bad, though. Yeah, it's different, but that's because MS shifted to a new paradigm in OS cores, similar to what happened between 3.1 and 95. The issue is that dipshits on the internet can't stop hating on it without having ever used it. I've been using it and Windows 7 quite a bit lately, and I'm just as happy with Vista as I am with XP Pro, and I still use XP Pro at home (along with Ubuntu).

JR

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Vista really isn't bad, though. Yeah, it's different, but that's because MS shifted to a new paradigm in OS cores, similar to what happened between 3.1 and 95. The issue is that dipshits on the internet can't stop hating on it without having ever used it. I've been using it and Windows 7 quite a bit lately, and I'm just as happy with Vista as I am with XP Pro, and I still use XP Pro at home (along with openSUSE).
[/b]
Agreed. Most people hate vista until they actually use it.

Oh I edited something quick :thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I work for a local nonprofit, managing 50 Dell Optiplex computers used by the general public and preschoolers. They are well spec'd machines, featuring Windows Vista Business. They range from 1 year old to 1 month old. I am just not impressed with Vista at all. I hope Microsoft will work out the remaining kinks, random slowness, the list goes on. It's not as bad as Windows ME (the horror), but its far from being Windows XP.

I use XP on my computers. Yes, XP has it's faults as well, but for my use, they are so discrete/minor and pale in comparison to the garbage known as Windows Vista.

I will continue to stick with XP on my machines until Windows 7 is out. 7 looks very promising.

Oh I'm going to take A+ in a few months B)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
ive had no problem with vista...now i will say its not all it should have been, but I don't want to go back to xp.

i dont like m$ upgrade programs, its only for os's that were preinstalled, not installed after the fact.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I have my A+, but the problem, as many have alluded to, is that by the time you get your A+ cert, the stuff you studied is out of date. I'm certified from years ago, yet I couldn't pass it today without studying all over again. But isn't a hard test if you study a bit. I think I actually studied from one of those "For Dummies" books.

Were still using Win 98 and XP boxes for FTP from the mainframe, of course there in the process of being phased out, XP is far more advanced for the time then Win 95 was, Theres big differences between 95/98 and XP, but theres little differences on the underlying code between XP/Vista/Win7. Anything made for XP will run on the other 2 (besides drivers), I doubt many business applications will be designed for Win 7 and not be backwards compatible for XP unless its using some special features, which most business applications dont tend to use.

Hell most the applications we have running on XP are backwards compatible to run on 98, not much as changed. The hardware is the only limitation. The OS is almost negligible.
[/b]
Just wanted to point out that there's a bit of mis-information here. MANY programs made for XP will not work on either of the new operating systems for various reasons beyond drivers. Also, the Win7 codebase is very different from XP. It is based off of the vista kernel, but majorly streamlined. Also, MS is being very quiet about whether or not "MinWin", their new micro-kernel, is at the heart of 7 or not.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
eh, there are so many things I hate about Vista that XP Does way better. As a technician... I work on multiple computers. And in many cases, I will have to deal with a dead computer and wanting to recover data....

On Windows XP... Taking permission and ownership is easy and fast. Vista - Even if the Windows account was not password protected, it has to take permission, and it's ungodly slow...

File transfers also go slow... (Cut or Copy from 1 directory into a second directory)

If you disable UAC.... Windows Security Center annoys the piss out of you until you turn it back on.

Vista is just... ****. I've used it, I keep going back to XP, or my Macintosh. Windows 7 however, so far is made of WIN! I intend to install win7 on my older AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Single core system and see how it performs... Then attempt to do some technician related work.

I didn't like Vista from the Beta, or the Release candidate either, and I don't like the finished product. Just a pain in the ass. Given the choice between Windows Vista or windows ME... I'd choose Windows ME over Vista.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
eh, there are so many things I hate about Vista that XP Does way better. As a technician... I work on multiple computers. And in many cases, I will have to deal with a dead computer and wanting to recover data....

On Windows XP... Taking permission and ownership is easy and fast. Vista - Even if the Windows account was not password protected, it has to take permission, and it's ungodly slow...

File transfers also go slow... (Cut or Copy from 1 directory into a second directory)

If you disable UAC.... Windows Security Center annoys the piss out of you until you turn it back on.

Vista is just... ****. I've used it, I keep going back to XP, or my Macintosh. Windows 7 however, so far is made of WIN! I intend to install win7 on my older AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Single core system and see how it performs... Then attempt to do some technician related work.

I didn't like Vista from the Beta, or the Release candidate either, and I don't like the finished product. Just a pain in the ass. Given the choice between Windows Vista or windows ME... I'd choose Windows ME over Vista.
[/b]
wow big statement. I happen to like vista. yes 7 is going to be way better, but would I go back to xp? nope. I have the window 7 beta dual booted on my machine along with vista ultimate. 7 is really awesome, id use it as my main os now even if it is a beta, if it wasn't for the fact that it expires.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts