Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I skimmed a bit of it, and this is the list of players implicated directly in the report:

Barry Bonds
Lenny Dykstra
David Segui
Larry Bigbie
Brian Roberts
Jack Cust
Tim Laker
Josias Manzanillo
Todd Hundley
Mark Carreon
Hal Morris
Matt Franco
Rondell White
Roger Clemens
Andy Pettitte
Chuck Knoblauch
Jason Grimsley
Gregg Zaun
David Justice
F.P. Santangelo
Glenallen Hill
Mo Vaughn
Denny Neagle
Ron Villone
Ryan Franklin
Chris Donnels
Todd Williams
Phil Hiatt
Todd Pratt
Kevin Young
Mike Lansing
Cody McKay
Kent Mercker
Adam Piatt
Miguel Tejada
Jason Christiansen
Mike Stanton
Stephen Randolph
Jerry Hairston, Jr.
Paul Lo Duca
Adam Riggs
Bart Miadich
Fernando Vina
Kevin Brown
Eric Gagné
Mike Bell
Matt Herges
Gary Bennett, Jr.
Jim Parque
Brendan Donnelly
Chad Allen
Jeff Williams
Howie Clark
Nook Logan

I'm split on what I actually think about this. I mean, I abhor the thought of professional athletes using steroids while they're actively playing for a team at ANY professional level. On the other hand, I take what people like Jose Canseco say with a grain of salt, so I'm not sure how much I buy. There are several players in the report that have always been a cut above the rest, and I'm very surprised to see their names mentioned, particularly Brian Roberts, Lenny Dykstra, and Todd Hundley. I'm not saying they were the best players of their times, or even in the better half of players, but they always seemed very honorable.

Anyway, opinions?

JR

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
If a dude on the juice was taking my starting gig, I would do it too.

I know you guys think less of me now but that would be my train of thought.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
dykstra was juicin hardcore, everyones known that for years. he was a speedy, hardworking, contact hitter with the mets then signed the big deal with philly and showed up jacked driving a rolls royce. then he started hurting his back and snappin tendons left and right.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was a bit before my time (I'm only 24), though I do remember him, and I've always remembered everyone having a definite fondness for him, and holding him in high regard.

JR

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Listened to a bunch of talk radio and it has definately been a nod and a wink thing for years.

I was a baseball player and back in the day they didn't let baseball players lift weights.

We did isometrics and stretching only. Some theory that muscle bound was not good for a baseball player

Mike
B)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I swear this report better not have been paid for by taxpayer's money....if it was, I hold more regard for the players than the people doing the investigating....

Andrew

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
im sure it was paid by taxes. who needs better schools, we need to look at millionaires bulking up!

i can understand why guys would do steriods, people do way way worse to make huge sums of money. shoot some steriods, make 10 mil a year or more. dont shoot, maybe we'll see you at spring training. not saying its right, but people do way worse to get that kind of money. all steriods do is hurt you, i know people will say it hurts "the pureness of the game" but that was taken away long before steriods. bottom line is, its not that big a deal that the govt should be involved. we've got soldiers tremendous underfunded, schools in shambles, police forces patroling our own neighborhoods underpaid, the prices to heat our homes skyrocketing and tons of other things going on that should have more attention paid to them than this.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
After reading stuff on the internet and listening to talk radio, I have decided the Mitchell should be shot in the head.

A lot of the names came from a guy that was told "Talk or Prison"

A lot of the others were Dr. Prescribed medications to help heal broken bones.

A lot of them were "Oh I heard so and so does it.

I know a lot of it went on , there is no denying it but a whole lot of that report was bullshit

Mike
:rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know...read some of the report. I have. There is a lot of testimony from several sources as well as checks written out to the Mets clubhouse attendant from many of the players named. The .pdf file is available all over the place.

JR

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I think Gregg Zaun (Catcher for the Blue Jays) represents the typical steroid user more than the stars. Basically a backup for a decade, one of those "AAAA players" (great in AAA, but just good enough to not make the major leagues). Figures hey, I'm never going to make it, but if I can take steroids and get a full time catching gig for a couple years and get a 4 million dollar deal, I'm set for life! Faced with this situation, I think I might do the same. Sure beats being a washed up career minor leaguer.

Now, I can't say with certainty that Zaun did roids, but they have a copy of a check to the guy who supplied, for the same amount as a lot of other players he supplied, and it's like, what else is this check for? That, and shortly after he came to Spring Training with 20 pounds of extra muscle. Come on. The only way to make this any more obvious was if he wrote "FOR STEROIDS" on the memo line.

I strongly oppose pretty much any drugs as just a matter of personal principle, and I don't think that anyone should have to take steroids just to be competitive since everyone else is. I'm also a fan of more "technical" baseball...I like to see great pitching with more than just a lightning fastball, but tricky breaking balls and great location. I want to see great defensive plays, stolen bases, sound fundamentals, stretching singles into doubles and doubles into triples, alertness and just all around excitement. I can think of many home runs last year, but none got me fired up quite like Aaron Hill stealing home off a visibly distracted Andy Pettitte.

Wanna stop steroids? It's this simple. Players already take blood tests as part of a complete physical before Spring Training. Add tests for steroids to this regimen. If you get caught, you don't play that year and you don't get paid. Now the risk/reward equation has been significantly altered and it becomes less attractive to do so.

I know the MLBPA has a responsibility to protect its players, but it's time for them to stop thinking about what's best for a few players and start thing about what's best for all players. It's time to step up and support all the truly honest players who do it legit. If I am an honest player who works on my swing for hours a day to maintain my consistency and power, only to see big contracts and praise go to guys with no skills, big muscles and bigger egos, then the union endorses them and covers for them, I feel betrayed. Cause last time I checked I wasn't part of the Big Muscled Small Brained and Small Testicles Association. Hey, Canseco may not play small ball, but even he admits to having small balls.

I have worked under unions before. And let me say something about them. Not one would endorse any kind of illegal activity. If I came to work with weed, I'd be fired and they wouldn't do anything for me. So why should this union support members who are using illegal substances?

Yes, some of them received certain products from their doctors while recovering from injuries. But let me ask you something. How many of you have broken or fractured a bone or seriously injured yourselves? Okay, keep your hands up. Now, put your hand down if your doctor didn't give you testosterone, steroids, or human growth hormone. If your hand is still up, chances are your doctor specializes in treating professional athletes, and you're an athlete.

So summary/cliffs for non-readers:
- uh duh lotta players who duh not so good durr use duh steroid to make it in da bazeball
- da bazeball is more funner when it not just duh home run durr-by
- duh nuh union shud say no to duh roidz to help duh players who duh nuh take dem
- jose canseco has no ballz

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Pettitte admits using HGH during 2002

NEW YORK (AP) - Andy Pettitte used human growth hormone to recover from an elbow injury in 2002, the New York Yankees pitcher admitted two days after he was cited in the Mitchell Report.

Pettitte said he tried HGH on two occasions, stressing he did it to heal faster and not enhance his performance. He emphasized he never used steroids.
"If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize," Pettitte said Saturday in a statement released by his agent. "I accept responsibility for those two days

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7569266?MSNHPHMA

Mike
:glare:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts