Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Missing part of diagnostic socket (STI) HELP PLEASE!

Hey guys I was about to buy a scanner for my OBD I Taurus LX 86" but the I found that the small connectior (STI) is missing I only have the huge 6 pin one. I tried looking for it everywhere! The only thing I found was a cut ground attached to the exhaust manifold.

Could it be that the car is just like that from factory? Where is that small wire supposed to go to see if I can fix it?

And is there a way to use the Equus ford digital OBD 1 scanner or any other without that small wire?

Im so frustrated....anyway thanks!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So peeled the harness back to see if there was a cut cable and there was nothing.

The Vaccumm and electrical troubleshooting manual said only 4 cables should be on the C102 conector but I have 5 ?. Strange maybe the fifth is the STI?

Cables are supposed to be:
2=Tan and Lime
1=Black and White
1=Tan and red

But I have a Whiteish/Yellowish and Black cable thrown there too in a terminal that's supposed to be empty? Could that be the STI? And if so will the scan tool work or will I have to jump this damn im so confuzed :(. Looks like I got the weirdest Taurus of all the Tauruses.

According to the manual the STI cable should be White with Black so it's very possible this is the case. But again why is it on the C102 when it should be on a separate connector?

Any ideas? Some more pics....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
The white/red wire is the STI circuit on my 86 Tbird 5.0 and my 88 Turbocoupe, but on both cars, this wire goes to the 1 terminal pigtail. No idea if Ford used the same color code on the Taurus.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The white/red wire is the STI circuit on my 86 Tbird 5.0 and my 88 Turbocoupe, but on both cars, this wire goes to the 1 terminal pigtail. No idea if Ford used the same color code on the Taurus.

Thanks for the answer! Actually I have no red/white cables just a tan and red but it's part of the big connector.

I called several mechanics and the service center for Equus and Actron and all they told me is that probably the car has some kind of special specification?

It's real strange since I recall the car being scanned with no problem at a shop a long time ago with a generic OBD 1-2 scanner.

Guy from Equus said it was probably because it's an 86" very early model and it's californian but I've no idea im going nuts!

And testing the thing by jumping with the tester using the extra wire as if its the STI scares me, I don't wanna burn the computer.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
The tan/red wire may have originally been white/red and just discolored over the last 25 years. I wonder if some PO cut off the STI pigtail and put the wire in the EEC TEST connector for some bizarre reason. If you have access to wiring diagrams that have PCM pinouts, you could see what PCM pin the STI is and trace that wire back to the EEC TEST connector harness and see what is going on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it's supposed to be pin 48 on the PCM but I havent gotten to that yet. Maybe someone did cut the pigtail thingy or maybe I got very Early Taurus? Doesn't look like it was butchered since I had to peel all of the original covers and cables were even glued together from being stuck in the same tape for 24 years.

Im just so sure this white/black discolored weird extra cable is the STI but I can't risk it! And I wonder why no one else has had this problem before hmm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts