Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy, What is the gap supposed to be on plugs for a 2002 duratec(24 valve ohc)?
my ses has a miss when idling and when under a slight load, plugs wires look ok. another post on here says a cracked coil didn't fix this same problem, or new plugs or wires. any thing else it could be, and i need to install anti seize on the plugs right.
I've got over 200,000 km, on this and never done anything to it, except the blower motor(due to a poor design, leak)
on a different note the car has developed a shimmy when braking, i've had the rotors turned and new pads installed, but still have a shimmy, can a loose rack and pinion cause this, i just changed the winter tires back to summer tires and with the wheel off the floor, can notice a slight movement when i push the wheel back and forth, slight movement is from the rack and pinion, for could it be the rotors weren't turned properly?

thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
Your spark plug gap is .054...and as far as the miss you are inquiring about...I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss things like plugs, wires, coil, etc....without even checking those items yourself in your own car...the car in the other post isn't YOUR car....after all, with the mileage you say you have, and the fact you haven't done any scheduled maintenance except a blower motor....your car needs some TLC.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (fonicsmonkey @ May 4 2009, 11:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722769
Your spark plug gap is .054...and as far as the miss you are inquiring about...I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss things like plugs, wires, coil, etc....without even checking those items yourself in your own car...the car in the other post isn't YOUR car....after all, with the mileage you say you have, and the fact you haven't done any scheduled maintenance except a blower motor....your car needs some TLC.[/b]
i've done oil cahnges, air filters etc, what i mean is i've had very few problems with this car. and as far as a cracked coil, i've never had a coil problem(myself) in any of the cars or trucks i ever owned. i just don't like to replace parts helter skelter, for on reason except "it might be the problem. andy ideas on the shimmey?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If there is no decal then the car has been in a wreck? To check the coil mist it with water while it is idling. If it starts missing then the coil is bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 6 2009, 10:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723226
If there is no decal then the car has been in a wreck? To check the coil mist it with water while it is idling. If it starts missing then the coil is bad.[/b]
no wreck, we got the car new, seeing as the coil is under the intake will i get enough mist in the right spots?
without causing a miss from something else?
anyone one have any ideas on the shimmey when braking, when driving absolutly fine. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have the same problem - looking for the spark plug gap for a 2005 Taurus with the 3L Vulcan. The owner's manual says look at the EPA sticker under the hood and the sticker says look at the spec book?

Awfully hard just to find this info...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts