Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Taurus SE 80k miles. Plugs wires done 7- 8 mos ago. Noticed at that time the

coilpack is a motorcraft unit, but have wondered if PO replaced it with a used unit at some unknown to me point in time. It has a few blue dots that could be markings put there by a JY to ID their sale.
I just took it on a 1000 mile trip over a 3 day period. I noted that on cold start i am getting a bit of a miss as i lightly accelerate- and a bit worse when i was parked on a hill and pulling away from the curb moving up hill. Also noticed that when "lugging":moving along in OD and placing light pressure on the accelerator-for instance noticing traffic slowing ahead, coasting then noticing they are moving along again(all without requirung a downshift)- i can usually make the miss happen. Happens less when warm. I tried to discern if it was torque converter unlocking or hunting by tranny but dont think it is either. If i need to accelerate more briskly the car will downshift and there is no such miss under such acceleration at all, even a stomp it to the floor produces no felt miss. There is no code stored/ no CEL and no flashing of the CEL at all during this trip.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
2007 Taurus SE 80k miles. Plugs wires done 7- 8 mos ago. Noticed at that time the

coilpack is a motorcraft unit, but have wondered if PO replaced it with a used unit at some unknown to me point in time. It has a few blue dots that could be markings put there by a JY to ID their sale.
I just took it on a 1000 mile trip over a 3 day period. I noted that on cold start i am getting a bit of a miss as i lightly accelerate- and a bit worse when i was parked on a hill and pulling away from the curb moving up hill. Also noticed that when "lugging":moving along in OD and placing light pressure on the accelerator-for instance noticing traffic slowing ahead, coasting then noticing they are moving along again(all without requirung a downshift)- i can usually make the miss happen. Happens less when warm. I tried to discern if it was torque converter unlocking or hunting by tranny but dont think it is either. If i need to accelerate more briskly the car will downshift and there is no such miss under such acceleration at all, even a stomp it to the floor produces no felt miss. There is no code stored/ no CEL and no flashing of the CEL at all during this trip.
Easiest way to check the coil is have engine warm and idling. Use a water spritz bottle with tap water in it. Spritz the coil and it should make no difference. Any change in engine means coil is cracked. Very common fail. I had a hint of misfire feel and when I spritzed the coil it went crazy. New coil, and it checked fine with wet.

I had the issue as seen in the pic attached. Paid a Ford dealer ~$300+ to tell me bad wires. New wires and new plugs and it returned. No code but run awful. No more Autolite plugs.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
I was worried about torque converter and it ended up being a coil. However it set a primary coil failure code which was a low voltage side. It took months and a huge hill to set a code. Water spray won't find a primary coil issue I believe just a high voltage side Search for my thread for buck at 45 mph

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
I was worried about torque converter and it ended up being a coil. However it set a primary coil failure code which was a low voltage side. It took months and a huge hill to set a code. Water spray won't find a primary coil issue I believe just a high voltage side Search for my thread for buck at 45 mph
From many posts here, so common coil fail, best just replace it at the 100K maintenance plan. Along with plugs, wires, and ground wire clean and treat.

Pic of one that caused irregular idle speed. The PCM ground is corroded and the "return volts" ground to sensors is not the same as battery/body ground. Moves with charging current. Ford grounds over paint, then corrosion happens.
Easy fix.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The CEL light is on now. Stopped at a parts place and asked them to read the code. They told me they found 3 he said...
P0300(random misfire), P0303 (Miss Cyl 3) and P0316 (misfire within first 1000 revs). He didnt write them down, print them out or let me look at the reader.
So, i said "he said" because i had to swing by my brothers shop with a different car and borrowed his snap on reader... when i got home i plugged it in started the car and found only 2 codes...P0300 and P0303. When i went to advanced settings i still did not get the 3rd code with one exception....
I did all this multiple times and one time i made the mistake of asking for chrysler instead of ford and that delivered a P0316...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So i went out with a spray bottle after dark, plugged in the code reader, started the car and cleared the codes. Then i started spraying wires and coil...Started running a bit rougher and visible sparks were seen -down where the boots were over the plugs/wires and at the coil tower end of the wires at the boots, plus an occasional random place.
I checked my reciepts...i did not change the plug wires when i did the plugs like i thought. Time for new wires i think!
Hunted down a set on Amazon...be here [email protected] from the warehouse- open package return.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New plug wires installed and it runs worse than ever. Ran so bad i came in to check the firing order to make sure all the plug wires were connected properly even though I only did one at a time so they would go right back where i took 'em off from. I cant believe that the car ran better on the old wires. I would think that new aftermarket(and this was a nice set complete with some new looms and dielectric grease) would run better...
Waiting for the code reader now to check things out before i reinstall the old wires! It was drivable with them.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Check the front bank firing order. I screwed that up because the coil order is different than cylinder order. Coil is like 4,6,5 and bank is 4,5,6. Not on my computer so just from memory. Search pics of MC coil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already did right after i saw how crappy iy was running. Now have the Code Reader and here is how it all shakes out...

Old wires/old coil > 2 codes P0300 and P0303

New wires/old coil> 5 codes P0300 x2 , P0303 , P0353 x2 The new wires are revealing a coil secondary issue > which also reveals they are somewhat different in their specs...or the coil issue would show up with the old Motorcraft wires.

Took the longest of the old M-C wires and put it on in place of new #3 to #3 and the car is very drivable-unlike earlier...

New borg warner coil on order...

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
I already did right after i saw how crappy iy was running. Now have the Code Reader and here is how it all shakes out...

Old wires/old coil > 2 codes P0300 and P0303

New wires/old coil> 5 codes P0300 x2 , P0303 , P0353 x2 The new wires are revealing a coil secondary issue > which also reveals they are somewhat different in their specs...or the coil issue would show up with the old Motorcraft wires.

Took the longest of the old M-C wires and put it on in place of new #3 to #3 and the car is very drivable-unlike earlier...

New borg warner coil on order...

This was my code that gave me issues exactly like you had that I suggested you search my thread for a few posts back..

https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/265673-chug-buck-approxmately-40-45mph.html

Code: P0352 - Ignition Coil B primary circuit malfunction
Module: Powertrain Control Module
Diagnostic Trouble Code details
Ignition Coil B primary circuit malfunction
This DTC may be caused by :
Open ignition coil primary circuit.
Short to ground in ignition coil primary circuit.
Open ignition coil POWER circuit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New coil came today from Amazon...In a BWD box...(I ordred a BWD coil 'cuz it was one of the 2 rec'd on this board despite liking the write up on the wells/airtex coil i was looking at)...and out of the box comes a motorcraft coil????

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oddly it follows on the heels of another amazon snafu...Ordered a laptop battery...the wrong battery came in the correct box....waiting for the correct battery now!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i wrote to the supplier thru Amazon asking how it was that i got the MC oil in the BW box and this was the reponse:

Hello. Yes. Borg Warner is a repackager. They source their parts from many vendors. In this case, they sourced the coil from Motorcraft, with is an OEM vendor. OE parts are known to be the highest quality. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts