Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ran in to trouble with my 2002 ford taurus SE, the taurus had trouble going up hill and would stall out on start up ocasionaly and misfired alot and at one point i could not exeed 45 mph. I replaced the Coil pack and the trouble went away for about 2 days then it seems that it came back but with a little variation.

car starts fine, doesnt stall anymore, misfires are not bad now, and if i put it in low gear i can make it up the hills now. but it seems as if im stuck in 6th (or 5th) gear because it does not get any torque but if i go down hill i can hold a constant 55mph with no problem (untill another up-hill arises). and to "shift" (or what ever it is trying to do) i have to let of of the gas for a second then accelerate to give it a kick. also the vehicle is overheating very fast and hot. it does not show on the sensor saying im overheating but the dip stick is hot enough to burn flesh.

if any one has any ideas on what it could be it would be greatly appreciated. thank you all!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I recently ran in to trouble with my 2002 ford taurus SE, the taurus had trouble going up hill and would stall out on start up ocasionaly and misfired alot and at one point i could not exeed 45 mph. I replaced the Coil pack and the trouble went away for about 2 days then it seems that it came back but with a little variation.

car starts fine, doesnt stall anymore, misfires are not bad now, and if i put it in low gear i can make it up the hills now. but it seems as if im stuck in 6th (or 5th) gear because it does not get any torque but if i go down hill i can hold a constant 55mph with no problem (untill another up-hill arises). and to "shift" (or what ever it is trying to do) i have to let of of the gas for a second then accelerate to give it a kick. also the vehicle is overheating very fast and hot. it does not show on the sensor saying im overheating but the dip stick is hot enough to burn flesh.

if any one has any ideas on what it could be it would be greatly appreciated. thank you all!
Does the engine smell hot? Any steaming from the rad?. I wouldn't drive it until you find the issue, so you don't end up with a popped head gasket, if you haven't already. A 2002 Taurus should have 4 gears. I would start monitoring the shift points to see if it's shifting correctly. What's the tach reading while going up a hill?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts