Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Taurus started having that misfire problem again about a week ago. It's the same thing as last time and seems to happen randomly regardless of whether the engine is cold or hot. I already replaced the plugs. Do you think the wires are to blame?
Thanks for the help.

G

·
Is your coolant brown? Does the coolant tank bubble or overflow? Is the heat as hot as it should be? Also, what did the old plugs look like?

The reason I ask all this is because this is one of the symptoms I've seen too many times with the 3rd gen Vulcans. I've experienced it with my own, and at least three other customers' cars. Basically, if the 3rd gen Vulcan recall dealing with the bypass heater hose was not done, the heater core gets plugged up, and does not allow the proper amount of coolant to reach the heads. Then, usually a head gasket will leak, causing the plug on that cylinder to foul out and misfire. Eventually, if you let it go long enough, the head will crack.

I'm hoping this is not your situation, however I've experienced unexplainable misfires, replaced plugs, wires, etc, then found this problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The coolant isn't brown or boiling, and the heat seems normal. The old plugs looked like had normal wear and none were fouled. The problem seems to be extremely random and intermittent, with no particular pattern or reason.
Anyway, thanks for the input, Bob.

G

·
Originally posted by socom58@Apr 13 2004, 12:15 AM
The coolant isn't brown or boiling, and the heat seems normal. The old plugs looked like had normal wear and none were fouled. The problem seems to be extremely random and intermittent, with no particular pattern or reason.
Anyway, thanks for the input, Bob.
It could be the wires. Is there any predictability at all when this happens? Is it damp/raining?

You can check the plug wires, they should have no more than 5000 ohms/ft of resistance. You may find that they're OK though, and still have the problem. Sometimes issues with wires will only show up under certain conditions.

Is the car setting the service engine light at all?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, there seems to be no predictablilty, and it hasn't rained here for the past couple of months - so that doesn't seem to be it. What do you mean about the car "setting" the check engine light? When this first started, the check engine light started flashing, and then went solid. The light has been on ever since. When a misfire occurs, as it did earlier today (under seemingly normal circumstances), the light flashes. When the car stops shaking and the misfire evens out, the light goes back to solid. Any ideas???

G

·
If there's an Autozone, or other store that will read the codes for you, get over there and have them read. Write them down, and post them here, and then we can start to diagnose the problem.

Basically, when the computer detects something out of range, or the engine running incorrectly, it will set off the service engine light. When the light is on solid, it's stored a code. When it's flashing, it's letting you know that a code is being stored, or that something is wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Solid SES light: Something isn't right, but you can probably let it slide for a bit.

Flashing SES light: Oh man, something is really f'd up!! Look at it, it's flashing!
Hope you know a tow truck number, cuz you ain't gonna make it home buddy!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I'd update the situation. Still haven't replaced the wires and the car is still misfiring. Does it on something like 3/4 of the starts now, regardless of conditions. Code reads PO301 - Cyl. 1 Misfire - same as before. Plug looks fine. Any ideas? Thanks :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is your coolant brown? Does the coolant tank bubble or overflow? Is the heat as hot as it should be? Also, what did the old plugs look like?

The reason I ask all this is because this is one of the symptoms I've seen too many times with the 3rd gen Vulcans. I've experienced it with my own, and at least three other customers' cars. Basically, if the 3rd gen Vulcan recall dealing with the bypass heater hose was not done, the heater core gets plugged up, and does not allow the proper amount of coolant to reach the heads. Then, usually a head gasket will leak, causing the plug on that cylinder to foul out and misfire. Eventually, if you let it go long enough, the head will crack.

I'm hoping this is not your situation, however I've experienced unexplainable misfires, replaced plugs, wires, etc, then found this problem.
[/b]
What years are the 3rd generation Vulcans? What recall was this? What or where is the problem plumbing layout?

Mine is 96.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
What years are the 3rd generation Vulcans? What recall was this? What or where is the problem plumbing layout?

Mine is 96.
[/b][/quote] 1996-1999

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok, I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I'd update the situation. Still haven't replaced the wires and the car is still misfiring. Does it on something like 3/4 of the starts now, regardless of conditions. Code reads PO301 - Cyl. 1 Misfire - same as before. Plug looks fine. Any ideas? Thanks :(
[/b]
Did you ever solve the problem?

·
Registered
61 Posts
you should first check if your distributor is loose thats happened to me before and the engine runs like crap. then check for vacuum leaks. if its not that you probably need a new injector but before you change that get the injector cleaner that connects to the fuel rail.

·
Registered
207 Posts
you should first check if your distributor is loose thats happened to me before and the engine runs like crap. then check for vacuum leaks. if its not that you probably need a new injector but before you change that get the injector cleaner that connects to the fuel rail.
[/b]
Interesting. The one and only time in 189,000miles my '93 LX threw a code was when the distributor hold-down bolt came loose for no apparent reason. This was on a Vulcan. I wonder how many other people this has happened to?

·
Registered
799 Posts
All of the vehicles being discussed here have DIS, a Distributorless Ignition System. My guess is that a loose distributor won't be found. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts