Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today my car overheated on the freeway, not bad caught it early enough. After i pulled over i let it cool added some water and it was fine, now it has a CEL and is running rough. What could be the problem to cause this? How screwed is my car? It never got really hot but it did overheat.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
The obvious first thing to do is find out what code or codes are stored in the PCM that turned on the CEL.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my CEL checked today, I have codes PO301, PO316. Misfire in cylinder #1, Crankshaft sensor error. I replaced the sparkplugs and wires, still has slight buck but not as bad as before. What are the chances my coil pack isn't working like it should? What would be the next option?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading some threads, I took a look at my coil for cracks. I have one small crack at the bottom of the coil, Is this causing the problem? I'm gonna check it on the multimeter tomorrow to confirm it's the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
misfire

I've got the SAME problem with mine... Thermostat replaced, starts fine rough idle at lights, take off is excellent. replaced plugs and 1 plug wire that was deficient, a little better still, but not quite right.
No CEL for mine....no codes

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a friend that owns a parts store he let me put a new coil pack on my car to test if that was the problem. As a result that was not the problem, so i put a new injector in cyl. 1, the problem is still there. I have no clue what else to do? I'm over this car. It still throws the codes, Misfire detected in cyl. 1 and misfire detected under 1k rpms. What gives

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
hi, swap the plug connections for cyl 1 and 5 at the coil.

see if the misfire moves to cyl 5 or if it stays at cyl 1.

how long since last plug change? are wires original?

moisture could have gotten past the boots on the plugs.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Try running some seafoam through the engine.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Possible base engine concern? Check compression and if possible do a leakdown test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I'm a new member, although this is my third Taurus.
Coil would be first thought when you swapped did you also use new plug wires?
Check for oil around base of cyl 1 plug (usually from filling or adding oil) as this will cause arcing at the plug intermittently.

Try unpluggin MAF sensor (plastic tube between air cleaner and and throttle body)- if it improves idle replace sensor or try cleaning it first with MAF sensor cleaner- sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

If MAF is ok try putting a vaccum gauge in line with the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, then start the car. You should get a steadily climbing vaccum reading to about 14-18 in/hg at idle the needle should remain steady no drifting or bouncing.
If drifts check fuel filter first then fuel pump pressure.
if bounces check for vaccum leaks at pcv valve, Intake Air pressure, EGR valve or for dirty IAT sensor tip Qtip-NO SOLVENTS, or Intake air pressure (on manifold) kight compressed air (no more than 25 psi) and/or MAF cleaner (will not damage plastic component)

Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally took the car to Fords to have a buddy put it on the computer. He ran a series of test, Then he did the compression test and it came back with 2 cylinders with low compression. Cylinder 5 & 6 had low compression and failed the test, he suggested probably burnt valves or head gasket. What do you guys think? He said the other test looked good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I spoke with a mechanic today.... without seeing the car he can assume the valve rod may have gotten hot enough to bend a bit causing the valve seat to not seat properly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I guess i will find out more when i start to tear it down. How common would it be to have 2 cylinders right next to each other with 2 burnt valves? To me it seems like a head gasket would cause 2 cylinders right next to each other to loose compression, but you never know with those kind of temps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts