Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening drivers,

My 2004 wagon is giving me fits. I have a rough run at idle. When I hit 40MPH and 60MPH it tends to run rough. If I accelerate hard, it runs very badly and I will get a blinking CE light.

I pulled the codes tonight and here is the result:

PO352, PO0316, PO304

My troubleshooting so far:
I pulled the plug and coil off of cylinder #4 and moved them to cylinder #5. I reset the codes and went for a drive. I actually did not get codes on my first trip and the engine ran very good. Then I started to get slight idle roughness. Shortly after it went back to its old tricks. I pulled codes and they were still the same. It was still indicating misfire on cylinder 4. SInce the coil and plug is now on 5, I know it should not be either of those.
What else might I check. I have looked some at the wiring, but it is difficult to tell if there are any problems without splitting the harness open. Is there any trick to checking the wiring to see if there is a short somewhere?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Welcome to TCCA.

I'll see if I can get things started.

P0316 = Misfire detected within the first 1000 rpm's on a start.
P0304 = It's happning on cyl #4
P0352 = The computer is unhappy with the COP on #4 cyl.

Seeing as how you've swapped the #4 & #5 cop & plug with the same results on the same cyl after a time, maybe suspect the #4 cyl cop electrical connection, or the wiring to it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Spray a water mist around the plugs and start the engine in the dark with the hood up and see if you can see the spark jumping to ground.

I would also pull out the cops out and look closely for fine cracks in it and also the rubber boot for cracks in the rubber.

I have a 04 sable wagon and just changed the plugs and found #1 cop with a 1 inch fine crack in it, also #4 cop with a 3/8 inch fine crack in it. My vehicle only has 77k miles on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts