Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked my codes and that is what came up. Got a new set of plugs(Autolite double platinum) and trying to hunt down a set of plug wires.( Autozone doesnt stock and not available through checker??) Ford quality care parts man "just left" :angryfire: Try again in the A.M. Any tips? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Motorcraft WR6026
Standard 6676
Bosch 09745

These are the only plug wires I found for 2002 ford taurus The Bosch plug wires arent listed for VIN S. The Motorcraft WR6026 are listed for SOHC engines but I guess they must work for the DOHC engines to. The Standard wires are listed for DOHC engines and are described as matching OE. Just check about the motorcraft plug wires. They should work. If they are the wrong wires return them. BTW this was through Checkers web site, so checkers or autozone should be able to order them.

YEAH they are finally building an Autozone in MY TOWN.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by snakeeyes@Jun 4 2004, 07:20 PM
Checked my codes and that is what came up. Got a new set of plugs(Autolite double platinum) and trying to hunt down a set of plug wires.( Autozone doesnt stock and not available through checker??) Ford quality care parts man "just left" :angryfire: Try again in the A.M. Any tips? Any other ideas?
You can try switching the plug wire from cylinder 6 with another known working cylinder to determine if it actually is the wire or not.

I would also suggest getting the motorcraft cooper core plugs not the platinum plugs as the copper is a better conductor of electricity than platinum. Platinum is a more durable material which allows it to last longer (100K instead of 30K). It's ability to last longer does not mean it will perform better, only that you will have to change them less often.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I started the job this morning. still couldnt locate wires. QC didnt have wires in stock. Sunrise ford didnt have wires in stock. 90$ and order. I told em I could order em from autozone for half that. Try carquest they say. O.K.
carquest doesnt have em in stock but can get em by noon. O.K. 50$ O.K. go home ,change plugs 4,5,and6. need a 1/4 drive ratchet to remove air intake to get to back bank. Will get one from car quest at noon.
Go pick up my plug wires at noon. Wrong ones. Computer is goofed,they ordered wires for a 99. NON duratec I think. 70 bucks to order the right ones. wont get there till monday. Nah Ill wait. Check some other places this week.

Well I go home and reconect the old wires. Figure Ill hold off on taking the air intake off till I get the CORRECT wires,so I dont change the plugs in thwe back bank. Car runs good. Went to auto zone and had the code removed. Went for a 30 mile drive. drove normal,and drove a little WOT. Car runs good. No new codes as of yet.
The old plugs were autolite platinumes gapped at over .060 The new plugs in are autolite DOUBLE platinum gapped at the correct .055.

Could that have been my problem? If I dont get a code this week, next weekend I will change the plugs on the back bank. Otherwise I guess Ill have to order that 70$ wire set.
I dunno.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by snakeeyes@Jun 5 2004, 09:47 PM
So I started the job this morning. still couldnt locate wires. QC didnt have wires in stock. Sunrise ford didnt have wires in stock. 90$ and order. I told em I could order em from autozone for half that. Try carquest they say. O.K.
carquest doesnt have em in stock but can get em by noon. O.K. 50$ O.K. go home ,change plugs 4,5,and6. need a 1/4 drive ratchet to remove air intake to get to back bank. Will get one from car quest at noon.
Go pick up my plug wires at noon. Wrong ones. Computer is goofed,they ordered wires for a 99. NON duratec I think. 70 bucks to order the right ones. wont get there till monday. Nah Ill wait. Check some other places this week.

Well I go home and reconect the old wires. Figure Ill hold off on taking the air intake off till I get the CORRECT wires,so I dont change the plugs in thwe back bank. Car runs good. Went to auto zone and had the code removed. Went for a 30 mile drive. drove normal,and drove a little WOT. Car runs good. No new codes as of yet.
The old plugs were autolite platinumes gapped at over .060 The new plugs in are autolite DOUBLE platinum gapped at the correct .055.

Could that have been my problem? If I dont get a code this week, next weekend I will change the plugs on the back bank. Otherwise I guess Ill have to order that 70$ wire set.
I dunno.
Do you have the duratec with coil on plug design?

If so, you dont need to replace the wires. The wires on the coil on plug duratec are simply wires that run a constant 12 V. They dont transmit crazy high voltage like the usual spark plug wires on most other cars do.

Because the current is a constant 12V, you dont need to replace those wires. Its a waste of time and money pretty much. Those wires will probably never wear out. The coils however, may run out somday, but the chances are pretty slim this will happen.

Just trying to save you some $$ and time :)

-Damon

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have the duratec with coil on plug design?

I dont think so. Dont know. Except for the long end on the wire,it looks like a normal every day wire to me. Runs to the dist. Reason for changing the wire was mech. said wire was arcing. dont know for sure though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts