Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '99 Duratec w/149,300 miles is experiencing an issue that I've been trying to resolve for the past 6 months. In the 30 - 50 MPH range, I can feel a slight bucking (something along the lines of a misfire). It's more noticeable when I'm accelerating slowly up to speed, or trying to maintain a speed in the 30 - 50 MPH range. It's not noticed under harder acceleration. The car idles smooth as silk - no apparent misfires or noted vacuum issues.

In the past 6 months, here's what's been done:
- New Plugs (Motorcraft / Autolite)
- New Motorcraft plug wires
- New fuel filter
- Cleaned EGR system and removed throttle body gasket to get all of the carbon out / off.
- New PCV valve
- Transmission fluid drain and refill w/gasket
- Regular oil and filter changes
- MAF sensor was removed and sprayed with proper cleaner

Anything that you can see which might have been overlooked? Possibly, the ignition coil going bad?

Thanks,

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the initial response. I was kind of hesitant to push the idea of the coil pack out there as normally, the coil pack tends to cause hard starts, mis-fires at idle, etc. I guess some of them just slowly "wear out" due to heat and age and present problems that slowly creep up on us.

BTW, I do have a code reader of my own - I've checked for codes, nothing has been set.

A little off topic - but, kind of related. When I was searching thorugh Google on ignition coil issues, I found a lot of discussions on coil failures for BMW automobiles. One story I came across, the dealership had the guy's car for 4 days. 2 of those days was spent waiting on the parts. When the guy picked up his vehicle, he noticed that the dealership took his car on a 120-mile "test" road trip. What's that you say? I don't think I'd really appreciate such an activity if it were my vehicle. :angry:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Coil pack sounds like the next thing in line price wise to replace if your into replacing parts.

I don't know if the Idle Air Control Valve does any work at higher RPM but cleaning that sucker with brake fluid is always a good idea; although you noted specifically no idle problems.

Go with a Motorcraft coil pack and see if that fixes her, either way its not going to hurt to have a new one if you can afford it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update. I picked up a coil pack (non-Motorcraft) from Advance Auto Parts. They have the BWD (Borg-Warner) pack, which they're still selling in GP Sorenson boxes - but, with the new part #.

I spent part of last evening repacing the coil pack. I didn't remove the plenum - and my hands are a bit large, but I managed. I then took it for a good ride to get it all warmed up. I noticed an imrovement in the hesitation / misfiring that I was experiencing before - almost non-existent. Though, considering, I have 149K+ on the car, there's still bound to be some other issues that can be creeping into the mix here, too.

My ride into work was the same as my test drive last evening. Noted differences. Sadly ( :(:(:( ), when I pulled into my lot at work, the CEL came on. I've been carrying my code reader in the Taurus - just in case a code were to pop up, I'd be able to check it almost instantly. Well, I've got the dreaded P1744 code, which points to potential failure of the torque converter. I'm just going to try the Lucas tranny additive this weekend. I basically just need this car to limp along about 10,000 more miles (or a bit less). Late fall, we'll get a replacement car for the family and I'll take over the Millenia my wife now drives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts