Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to diagnose this problem is driving me crazy!
2000 Taurus 3.0 vulcan. 216k on the engine.
(changed the front head gasket 30,000 miles ago)

the car started misfiring recently (cyl 5 only) but only when warm and only noticeable when idling, not when driving (whether from the higher rpms or maybe it's not misfiring)
Doesn't throw any codes but when idling (after it's warm) I can hear it intermittantly but not constantly (as in every cylinder stroke) popping at the exhaust + plus running rough. When when I pull the wire off injector for cyl #5, the rpm's don't change at all. The plug on that cylinder was more brown than the others and after changing the plugs and driving around 10 miles, all the plugs are still clean and white and cylinder #5's plug is brown. I swapped injectors with another cylinder and no change, it's still #5 that's missing. Also put a sparkplug on cyl 5 wire and grounded it and looks like it has good spark. Also did compression check and cyl #5 is about the same as the others.

It has New (less than 10 miles), plugs, wires, air filter, fuel pump. I also checked the rocker torques.

Could it possibly be another head gasket? maybe sticky valve guides?
I was thinking possibly a head gasket that's starting to leak which is why it only does it once warmed up. ( i did the compression check warm though)

help :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking that possibly but wouldn't it be unusual for only one cylinder of the 2 on that coil to misfire?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, you convinced me to try for the cheap fix......just ordered a coil pack. I'll keep ya updated if it works or not. If anyone else has any other ideas for a fix or wants to confirm that it's prob the coil pack, i'm open to ideas. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I have seen missfires on 1 of the plugs but not the other a few times in waste spark systems. hopefully the coil will solve the problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ok, you convinced me to try for the cheap fix......just ordered a coil pack. I'll keep ya updated if it works or not. If anyone else has any other ideas for a fix or wants to confirm that it's prob the coil pack, i'm open to ideas. Thanks!
Bob,

when you remove the coil pack, check for cracks in the coil pack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE - wasn't the coil pack. got a new one. I pulled the head and head gasket was blown between the water jacket and cyl 5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coolant

Nothing noticeable. Just the top of the reservoir usually had some drops around it. The rest must have evaporated from the heat under the hood but the level never dropped that i noticed. The plug on that cylinder was orande colored like the coolant though. Compression tested ok when i checked it also

1 - 12 of 12 Posts