Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have replaced the plugs and wires because cylinder 4 and 5 would misfire. BAD

After about 1,700 miles the same cylinders started misfiring again, BUT only when it was cold. after it warmed up all was fine. So i changed only those 2 plugs and replaced the coil.

All seemed well but yesterday I was driving to work and the check engine light came on again. This time I checked the code and I get P0430 I know it had to throw that code because it must have been misfiring again even though I could not tell it was.

I do know they are the last 2 cylinders in the fuel system but I don't think it's the injectors or changing the plugs would not fix it.

I know I need some more miles to tell if the coil fixed it but after the check engine light came on I wonder what is going on.

Any help please?

I still wonder if the coil fixed it and the check engine light came on because it was burning some stuff off from when it was running bad before? I drove it 100 miles today and it ran like a top. Even had tires put on it today and the guys in the garage did not say anything about it running bad. You know they like to get work if they can.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Po430 means your catalytic converter on bank#2 has failed. That does correspond to the misfire on that bank probably overheating and damaging it. The replacement comes as a complete y-pipe, but you need to know which transmission you have, whether you have California or Federal emissions (parts can by physically different), the hangar setup you currently have, and the length of the front headpipe. Not even Ford can tell you which one you have, they have to decode your old part number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Po430 means your catalytic converter on bank#2 has failed. That does correspond to the misfire on that bank probably overheating and damaging it. The replacement comes as a complete y-pipe, but you need to know which transmission you have, whether you have California or Federal emissions (parts can by physically different), the hangar setup you currently have, and the length of the front headpipe. Not even Ford can tell you which one you have, they have to decode your old part number.
I don't think it's bad. I figured it tripped because of the misfires. I have reset them and put close to 300 miles on it now and no more engine light or misfires.

My guess is the coil fixed it.

The plugs seemed to foul out about every 1,500 to 1,700 miles on just those 2 cylinders. After they foul out they still worked fine after the engine warmed up.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
No, if it tripped because of the misfires, the code would have been concurrent with the misfire codes. The P0430 code means the bank#2 catalytic converter is operating below threshold. This is usually because the catalytic converter has been damaged, and misfires are definitely known to damage the converters.

If you can get that to stay off, that is great, but If it has resolved itself, I seriously doubt you would be asking about it. Just that fact you are asking tells me the issue has not resolved itself.

If the plugs keep fouling out, the engine has a definite problem, either oil is leaking past the valve stems and fouling those plugs, or the injectors might be leaking contributing to a rich condition on those cylinders. Also any low compression issue will cause problems, a cracked head could cause neighboring cylinders to foul out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not coolant so I am not worried about the head.

I don't really use any oil maybe 1/2 quart in 3000 miles.

I did not know the injector could leak past. Never thought of that. If it happens again I will check the compression also.

Thanks you gave me some other things to look at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts