Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't somebody going to put together a kit for adding the "arrow" signal into your side view mirrors. I would like to do this, but am convinced that I would screw it up unless I had a kit and/or incredibly specific instructions. Brad (the_spy_guy) is the one who figured all this out AFAIK. So is anybody going to or did someone make kits for this??

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll probably try it myself once it warms up outside and I get a spare couple of mirrors, just in case.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Feb 4 2004, 09:53 AM
prob not....you can buy em professionaly made for 200$ or make em yourself...there are detailed instructions...http://www.taurusclub.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=106

Brad
Id love to do this mod on my car...but there is ONE part in your instructions that im leary off... and thats actually "popping" of the mirror away from where its held onto.. id be scared of it breaking...

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you are afraid of breaking the mirror you won't, I have pulled mine out to see if i could do this mod, which i plan on doing. The mirror itself is very strong, when you go to put it out use the power mirror controls to point it upwards so u can get a hand behind the mirror and just pull.If u break it, which i can't see happening u can get some at a junk yard for cheap, but u will have to pull those ones out 2.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool - the next "warm" day we have, I'll start looking into doing this.

·
Registered
946 Posts
When I first saw this mod, I was like whoopdy doo. This was after I bought my first set for my sable. Then this mod came out. Now I have a taurus and missed my mirror blinkers. The main reason I have not bought the KWMUTH mirrors again, is because they don't come in yellow.

Gen 3 - 96-97's have amber rear signals. Red signal mirrors would look s***ty imo. So I didn't buy them.

My question to you brad, do they look just as good from the rear and can you notice them a little bit from the drivers seat? At least the drivers side? I used to, and thats what I loved about them. Made me feel more secure.

If this is true, want to make me some?
What did you use for the plastic piece?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Also, I have another idea that would be really cool and put those new car mirror blinkers you see now - to shame.

I was thinking of a forward led blinker. One that can be seen from the front of the vehicle. Basically 6 leds in a row, through the housing of the mirror. But, with a night rider flashing motion. Like, when you turn the blinker on, the lead closest to the car lights and then the next in repetitive succession.

Is this possible? Can it be made to complete that patter before the front fender blinker cuts out, so it looks good.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
that would be cool...

yes i can see them from the drivers seat....both sides....this is why i like them. they are not overly bright (from the drivers or passengers view, but are very bright from the back.

Pros about my mod: I like the arrow better than the pre made mirrors, bigger, any color you want.

Cons: not as bright during the day, but just as bright at night. I have owned both, and if i had the money i would get the pre made ones, but can not afford them so i have not.

The only thing i have left to try is to etch the "mirror" surface away from where the arrow is.

Brad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great article, Brad. I'm going to cross post this to the Lincoln LS forum. Nice Job!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
i did not want the gay stick ons, plus blue is illegal (yes i know there are red ones)

mine look totally factory cause i use the factory glass.

Brad

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by L0pan@Feb 8 2004, 07:24 PM
Also, I have another idea that would be really cool and put those new car mirror blinkers you see now - to shame.

I was thinking of a forward led blinker.  One that can be seen from the front of the vehicle.  Basically 6 leds in a row, through the housing of the mirror.  But, with a night rider flashing motion.  Like, when you turn the blinker on, the lead closest to the car lights and then the next in repetitive succession.

Is this possible? Can it be made to complete that patter before the front fender blinker cuts out, so it looks good.
That kinda sounds like the sequential taillights on the old '60s Mercury Cougars. I saw one in person and it looks so cool! If you guys don't know, it's sorta like the animation in the attachment. I think it'd be awesome if you could incorporate that into the mirror for the front facing signals.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I see the same lights on the rear of impalas here, the older sytle boat cars. I think they are impalas? I will have to check that. It is neat tho.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts