Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a recent trip from benton ky back home to kirkwood mo i ran into a problem. my a/c compressor froze up which cause my belt to break. that belt was brand new when it broke. after some tinkering around i ended up getting a smaller belt to by-pass the a/c. the didnt work so figured why not. driving back i managed 29mpg, a week later i filled up and checked the mileage again, and got 25 which i expected. ive filled up a few times since then and averaged 25-26 mpg that was untill today. i checked the mileage today and got 23mpg. i do alot more highway driving now, i drive about 70 miles round trip. so i need to figure out a way to improve my mileage, i know that i need to replace the plugs and wires but i dont really expect to much of a gain there. i thought with more highway driving my mpg would go up, instead it has gone down. for most the drive i drive 55-65 mph.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Check your tire pressure and make sure it's 35 psi. Do you any extra weight in the trunk? Are you sure the transmission is going into 4th gear?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your tire pressure and make sure it's 35 psi. Do you any extra weight in the trunk? Are you sure the transmission is going into 4th gear?
ill double check the tire pressure, i have like 2 lbs extra weight in the trunk, and im not sure if its going into 4th gear or not. dont really notice it shifting, its so smooth and plus theres no tach to tell either.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tire pressure good, but cant tell if its shifting into 4th or not. going down the road i was accelerating to 45 mph and it seemed to just constantly get up to speed with out shifting. the engine tone never changed till i let off the gas. when i did everything was pretty quiet. i could barely hear the engine. the windows were up and the radio was off. its was a pretty silent car. i shifted between d and od a few times but never made a differance in how the engine sounded. im goin to try and see what it does on a big hill here in a minute. not expecting anything but ya never know

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wish my gas mileage had only gone down that little. Back during the winter my original engine blew (blown cylinder on a 1998 Taurus). Had a refurbed engine put in. Mileage was about the same (around 20+mpg in city) until around 4-5 tanks ago. Now I'm getting no more than 15-18mpg. The repair shop seems clueless as to why. And I checked for fuel line leaks or gasoline theft - no luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well im not sure what to think. i noticed that when i got on the highway and pressed the gas down the car seemed take a while to shift gears. all my other cars seemed to shift pretty quick (all fords). coming back home i went up a pretty steep hill, i noticed that the engine rpms went up. but didnt notice any change in the transmission.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Under light acceleration, it will shift at 5-10 MPH (1-2 shift), 20-25 MPH (2-3 shift), and 40-45 MPH (3-4 shift). You should be able to feel it unless you have a brand new transmission running Mercon V and brand new motor mounts.

If you're moving at 60 MPH and you move the shifter from OD to D and nothing happens, the trans wasn't in 4th gear in the first place. If it was working properly, you will feel a downshift and the engine will scream (and the system can take it so don't worry about breaking it).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Under lightr acceleration, it will shift at 5-10 MPH (1-2 shift), 20-25 MPH (2-3 shift), and 40-45 MPH (3-4 shift). You should be able to feel it unless you have a brand new transmission running Mercon V and brand new motor mounts.

If you're moving at 60 MPH and you move the shifter from OD to D and nothing happens, the trans wasn't in 4th gear in the first place. If it was working properly, you will feel a downshift and the engine will scream (and the system can take it so don't worry about breaking it).
i know the transmission isnt new, it's as old as the rest of the car. whole car has 107,000 miles on it. yet ya look at all the bushings and stuff like that and it looks like a car with less than 50,000 miles. i mean no squeeks or rattles any where. if the windows are rolled up and the radio is off, you will here very little wind noise. that makes it very easy to listen for differances in the engines rpms and when the transmission shifts. i think today im gonna try the same tests as yesterday, cept this time im goin to use the cruise a little.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i belive i dont have 4th gear, i tried a few differant things and so far all indicate that i dont have 4th gear. i hope thats not an indicator of things to come, i drive 70 miles a day to and from work. would be nice if i could fix that 4th gear problem. is there anything i can to do to help?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on a side note im wanting to replace the gauges in my taurus with a cluster that has a tach. is this possible, my current cluster only goes up to 85 mph.

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Any cluster from 92-95 will work (tach or no tach).

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
A tach cluster will still have the 85 mph speedo. That was government mandated in the 80s / early 90s.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 questions right quick......1 will a sho cluster work in my gl? 2 will replacing the trans filter help my trans problem?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i think my trans problem worked it self out. i got gas the other day and when i checked the mpg. it showed i got almost 29 mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts