Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving a 2000 Taurus SWG. I had an oil change and had the rear brake rotors and pads replaced by merchants tire and auto center. But after these services, my combined mileage dropped from 21 to 18. Nothing else was changed.

Any ideas about this mileage drop? Thanks for your advices!

2000 Taurus SWG,
178k miles.
Commute 40 miles daily with half HWY and half local.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Brakes

I am driving a 2000 Taurus SWG. I had an oil change and had the rear brake rotors and pads replaced by merchants tire and auto center. But after these services, my combined mileage dropped from 21 to 18. Nothing else was changed.

Any ideas about this mileage drop? Thanks for your advices!

2000 Taurus SWG,
178k miles.
Commute 40 miles daily with half HWY and half local.
Check to see if your rear brakes are hot after driving.

If so, that is where to start.

Oil should make no difference that you can measure.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
^^^^ +1

Dragging brakes will kill gas mileage as well as damage the brakes.

I suggest that if you arent going to do your own automotive work, you find a local "mom and pop" shop to repair your car, and RUN AWAY from the chain stores whose mechanics, in general, know less about cars than my 21 year old daughter does (which is more than lots of chain store "mechanics").

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
One more

Is your parking brake overly firm? If they replaced the pads/rotors and didn't adjust the cable properly, you could be running with the parking brake partially engaged.
Also when they rotated the piston to retract it, did they align the slots to fit the pin on the pad backing. I bought a used car, '95 Sable Wagon, and the rust of lack of rust on the rotors was just wrong, and brakes noisy. Removed the pads and found they did not alighn the slots.

And as others mentioned, parking brake cable.

-chart-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I do have a local shop that I really trust, I let the mechanic replaced my lower ball joints but didn't ask to check my rear brake. I'll bring my car to him in a later time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts