Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's a long complicated story, but a friend of my wifes might sell it. '94 model with 166,000 miles on it. Saw the body, and it looks pretty clean. Haven't seen the inside yet. If we get it it will be for way less than book value. Anybody have experience with these? What are they like?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
From what I've heard, maintenance is hard and expensive. But they are pretty reliable.
[/b]

Have fun changing the starter if it fails. But overall, they are very nice cars for their era. Definitely on par with Benz. However, now it's a 15 year old car, parts are going to be expensive, labor is intensive. If you are seriously considering the car, get it professionally inspected first.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<div class='quotemain'>
From what I've heard, maintenance is hard and expensive. But they are pretty reliable.
[/b]

Have fun changing the starter if it fails. But overall, they are very nice cars for their era. Definitely on par with Benz. However, now it's a 15 year old car, parts are going to be expensive, labor is intensive. If you are seriously considering the car, get it professionally inspected first.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the advice. That's one thing I do with any used car, is have it inspected.
when I bought the Sable, it had a light on (forget which one), but it turned out that a plug was disconnected under the driver seat. The mechanic, plugged it in and the light went off. Dealer wound giving me back my money for that repair. Still unsure about the Lexus though. I really need another car around here like I need a hole in the head. If we bought it, it would just to help out the wifes friend.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I changed the oil on one a neighbor used to have. I was kind of concerned by the tiny size of the oil filter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the oil on one a neighbor used to have. I was kind of concerned by the tiny size of the oil filter.
[/b]
If we buy this car, that's the first thing I would do. Right now, I don't think it getting very good maintaince. This lady has owned it for about 6 months now. Don't know about the previous. Of course a carfax report would be in order.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Definitely get it checked out. They're fantastically built and great quality when new, but as was already said, parts prices are terrifying when things do go wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts