Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has 190,000 on it but runs and drives good. 3.8L, at, ac doesn't work but what older car does it work in? all it needs is some exhaust work the guy ran over a pot hole and it tore off the muffler, and he's leaving for florida on sat so i think i can get it cheaper if i play my cards right. Do you guys think that it would be a good buy? what's the common problems with them? i thought the hg went bad on the 3.8 but i can't remember. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
The head gasket goes bad if you overheat it. Really though, if it hasn't gone bad by now it probably won't anytime soon.

I would say that it's worth $350 since a new muffler is going to run you about $150. Stinks that it is probably the R-12 air conditioning, which means either a retro-mod or just living without ac.

As long as it looks good, drives fine, and gets you from A to B I would say that it is a very good deal. $500 is a good enough deal, but always try to get it for cheaper! My 3.8 is still going strong at 215,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It has 190,000 on it but runs and drives good. 3.8L, at, ac doesn't work but what older car does it work in? all it needs is some exhaust work the guy ran over a pot hole and it tore off the muffler, and he's leaving for florida on sat so i think i can get it cheaper if i play my cards right. Do you guys think that it would be a good buy? what's the common problems with them? i thought the hg went bad on the 3.8 but i can't remember. thanks
$500 car is a disposable car. make sure it shifts through all the gears
and it runs ok on the HWY if you can. Check the CV boots for cracks.
check the condition of the oil and trannie fluid. You might get lucky.

bob

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just gonna get it for a third car for me and my wife because my sho's been acting up lately and i don't wanna be stuck without a car.

·
Registered
809 Posts
$500 bucks wont even buy you a nice set of wheels and tires, if it runs good, no cel, shifts good, go for it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds pretty decent, but try to talk him down from the original price he's asking. Needing work is always a good reason to try and cut the price down. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do it! i got my 93 for 200 bucks. It was worth it till the Ax4s died :( but no worries it ll be back on the road soon.

Anyways, check the fluids and color of the tranny fluid. Its worth a risk imo because what car can you really get for that price? The 3.8s have head gasket issues but if its not happened yet it wont. both the other 3.8 bulls i maintain had em go out at 60k. Also check around for rust on the subframe and under body.

I say you should probably buy this car and if you do we need to see pics of this sweet ride :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
562 Posts
See if he'll take less but I would go for it. Heck, that's not even one car payment and you get a running car for a spare. Just do a safety check like brakes,tires,steering, etc. so that it's safe going down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
My 91 LX cost $500. It had 56,000 miles when we bought it about 3 1/2 years ago. Car is loaded, everything but leather and a console. It needed a little work, and I had to do the head gaskets a few months ago, but it is a good-looking, nice-running car that my wife really enjoyus driving.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
My 91 LX cost $500. It had 56,000 miles when we bought it about 3 1/2 years ago. Car is loaded, everything but leather and a console. It needed a little work, and I had to do the head gaskets a few months ago, but it is a good-looking, nice-running car that my wife really enjoyus driving.
You also live in Callllllllifornia. Home of cheap American, rust free cars. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts