Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a good shop in the midwest to get my 60k done, Im lazy :D , I know Performance Plus is in WI and does the work, but I would like a shorter drive. Anyone?
Also, Is SHOfast in MI or OH, are they still operating?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
we can have some of the shoforum regs who do 60k's alot come down for like a 60k party since i need my valve lash done :lol2:

T

·
0 Posts
I do 60k's.... get your lazy arse up here for a meet and we can make some time to do it.

N

·
0 Posts
:withstupid: :lol:

Same here. Got the tools and now the know how, after numerous rod bearing and tune ups, and almost finishing my 3.2 MTX conversion. :burnout:

T

·
0 Posts
:argue: Besides arguing over the tension in the clutch fork (which I was CORRECT about... ;) ) Nick and I do make a good mechanics team. Between the 2 of us, we could get the car done in a long afternoon... you're welcome to come up and stay the night with us if you'd like.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
can be done even quicker if i help :D and keep tara way from anything sharp or pointy as not to harm herself.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I would highly recommend Livernois Motorsports to do the work. They are located in Dearborn, MI and they cater to performance cars. When I went there for the Ford V6 Challenge, they gave me a tour of their facility. Its huge and full of all kind of performance cars. Their hourly rates are reasonable as well. Check it out!

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not to Dis anyone. But if he doesn't want to touch a tool. Then the short drive from Indy to Shofast in Cinci would be the place to go. ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Besides arguing over the tension in the clutch fork (which I was CORRECT about...  )
Sounds like you guys are married! :blink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the invite guys, but with my work schedule and personal life colliding, I just need to drop it off and pick it up and have some kind of guarantee in the work, not that I dont trust any of you :) I would do it myself here, but I dont have the time, the brakes are all brand new and done by me though :)
I may however be able to do a meet sometime this summer though, and it would be a shame spending that time working on a slow car instead of driving a fast one around with you guys :D

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
What all needs to be done at 60K?

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is the main thing that people talk about. But there are other things to service, just like any make of car. This is off of http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/index.php Check it out for more info on 60K. ;)
On the earlier v6 SHOs, the manual recommends performing a valve lash adjustment every 60k. Some of the later v6 SHO manuals state that a valve lash is only required every 100k, here's the scoop from one of the better SHO mechanics around - Doug Lewis of FPS Automotive :

My recommendation is to have the valves adjusted at 60K regardless of the trans. The reason that the timing belt can 100K on the ATX cars is the way it is tensioned. The ATX cars have hydrolicly dampened, spring loaded tensioner. It does not use engine oil pressure. It is a self contained unit that is simallar to a hood strut. Over time and miles, the belt will strech. The tensioner on the ATX cars will make up for the slack and keep the belt tight. The MTX cars have a mechanical tensioner that is loaded and then locked into place. Once this is done, the belt tension is set and can not move. Over time and miles, the belt streches, but the tensioner remains in the same place. This causes the belt to get loose. A loose timing belt kills the power of the engine because it allows the cam timing to change with the accelerater. When you get on the gas the cam timing is retarded and when you get off the gas the cam timing is advanced. Exactly opposite of what it should do to make power.
In my opinion, both cars should have the valves adjusted at 60K. Ihaven't found very many that are out of adjustment, but I have found wear on the shims. Anything from pits to scratches. Since the cam lobes ride/slides directly on the shim surface, it is very important that the surface be smooth and free of defects. If a pit or a scratch opens up on the shim, it will wear the cam lobe prematurely. The shims are hardened to on grade lower than the cam lobes. This allow the shim to wear before the cam. The shims are much less expencive to service than the cams. When the valves are adjusted, it is VERY important to remove each shim and inspect it for pits or scratches. A valve adjustment is much more than using a feeler gauge. The clearance might be within tolerance, but the shim could be pitted and tearing up your cam lobes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts