Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to clean Microfiber towels?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wash mine just like the rest of my towels.

Edit: I guess I should clarify. In the washing machine. Dry them by themselves though on medium heat or high heat on a short cycle

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Washing machine will work fine, but I'll tell you how I wash mine (by hand). I go through more steps to avoid having residual soap and rinse agents in mine that can leave streak marks.

I get a little wash tub in the sink, and fill it with a little Tide and warm water (avoid using too much soap). Then I shake and rub them together just like people did their laundry before machines were common. You might also use a little washboard. The idea is to agitate and release all the little dirt particles out of the microfibers. If you're successful, you will see very fine particles in the bottom of your tub. I then do three rinses with tap water, and then a final rinse with distilled water to remove any minerals or residual agents. Wring them out and dry overnight on a towel bar. Fold and store the next day. A little paranoid I know, but they end up really clean that way!

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I have found that the best way to get them clean of wax and polish is to first soak them in hot water with Dawn dishwashing detergent. Then rinse and soak again. repeat the rinse and then I wash them separately in the machine with normal detergent. One word of advice, when drying in a dryer do not use fabric softener sheets...or fabric softener in the wash. The fabric softener will tend to leave streaks on the finish when you use the towels again. I have found that the Dawn will really remove almost all of the wax or other chemicals and then the chemicals don't get into the washer or spread or leave residue on other towels or in the washer.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
I usually just do them with my regular laundry, haven't seen any negative results so far. if they are heavily soiled then a presoak in soapy water doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Keep your towels separated from other types of towels, (i.e. waffle weave, super plush, etc...) and any other laundry. Keeping them separated from other types of towels will help keep each type of towel from discoloring and lint from other types of towels. Some super flush MF towels leave lint behind.

Also, you don't want to clean a grunge towel with a towel that you only use to wipe off wax, you get the idea..... You can use regular detergent, keep in mind that you don't need as much as you think, pre-soak if need be, and then run a separate rinse cycle with distilled white vinegar in place of the "softner". This will help rinse away the detergent left in the towel.

Then throw the towels in your dryer until dry and you are Done!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to hand wash them with a mild detergent. It's not like these are used for grease rags. I also don't like using the dryer to dry with. I normally air dry then tumble them in the dryer at on heat to remove the lint.

What about dryer sheets? I usually use them with the no heat tumbling.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm going to hand wash them with a mild detergent. It's not like these are used for grease rags. I also don't like using the dryer to dry with. I normally air dry then tumble them in the dryer at on heat to remove the lint.

What about dryer sheets? I usually use them with the no heat tumbling.
After the vinegar rinse, you can dry them in the dryer with no problem completely, and they still come out fluffy....

Using a dryer sheet, NEVER.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not worried about the dryer heat damaging them; I'm just cheap......

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
The purpose of dryer sheets is to rub scented fatty acids (similar to lard) all over your clothes so they feel smooth and smell good. Rub your fingers on a hot sheet and you'll see what I mean. Suffice to say, you don't want any kind of greasy molecules on your microfibers, so avoid softeners. Just soap and water.

Here's a good article from the ACS about dryer sheets: http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/86/8615sci2.html

·
Registered
552 Posts
The purpose of dryer sheets is to rub scented fatty acids (similar to lard) all over your clothes so they feel smooth and smell good. Rub your fingers on a hot sheet and you'll see what I mean. Suffice to say, you don't want any kind of greasy molecules on your microfibers, so avoid softeners. Just soap and water.

Here's a good article from the ACS about dryer sheets: Dryer Sheets | April 14, 2008 Issue - Vol. 86 Issue 15 | Chemical & Engineering News
read this and thought id get my two cents ..... they do have an oily coating to make the clothes smell but they do actually get rid of the static cling that the dryer makes. have you ever dried your clothes without one and they tried to fold them .... good luck NOT get a few shocks from your clothes lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts