Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
To me tires are something that make a big difference in your ride plus last a really long time, so I don't mind paying couple hundred extra for them especially since I really do not put a lot of miles on my car. But regardless, if these are tires that drive well that's good enough for me. Guess I'll save the Michelins for the future as was suggested.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You won't go wrong with either one of those tires. They are both very good.
Michelin bought Uniroyal and B.F. Goodrich in 1990. All the passenger tires and semi truck tires are all made either here in the US or Canada. Very few of them come from anywhere else. They also make Giant Earthmover tires here in the US. They employ over 30,000 people in the US. Not sure how many in Canada.

If you store the Michelin tires, DO NOT put anything on them like Armor All or anything. The reason is because those products are silicone based and actually draw the petroleum that keeps the tires soft, out of the tires. This in turn causes premature cracking on the sidewalls when exposed to sun or ozone. The best thing you can do for those tires while you finish off the BFG's is to put them in the darkest, coolest environment you have. Heat and sunlight are not a tires friend. That is why you see motor homes with tire covers on their tires when they are parked. The tires will last much longer when they are out of the sunlight when not in use. This applies to all tires.
All those tire shine type products make your tires shine and look cool, but they do irreversible damage to them. This also applies to vinyl dashes and such. Armor All is not your friend on those either. The product 303 I am not sure about. It might not have the silicone based chemicals in it, I am not sure. But I would not put it on your tires either way.

If the BFGs are already on the car, I would finish them off and save another mount and balance. You are correct, the brand of tire can make a big difference in ride quality and road noise as well as performance.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Mich experience;
Both my Sables '03 have Premier 215-60-16. I trade wheels to keep the newer on my sedan for my daughter who needs to go every day in the snow, and for the grandsons to school events. Non issue. No issue with them. Except I have one leaking slow around the valve stem to wheel. Will go back to Sams after holidays. ~3# per week.

Now to the Lin Cont. ('02) New issue MXV4 which do well, I get 50-60K and do not wear down due to snow. Replaced them do to 10 year old age. Just replaced fronts with Premier at Sams. Existing had begun to have what I see as poor wet road traction and the mild tread not so good in snow. Premier more aggressive. Just inspected at Sears and they show 8/32 rears, 6/32 fronts. Fronts ~40K miles, rear ~20K. I did not measure fronts before replacement but I know they were not 6, more like 4-5/32.

Premier on same car, same road, they are a tick more noise on wet road. Balance and run straight, perfect. Good for the life of the car, 15 years old and I drive ~5-6K per year in it.

I measure 7.5/32 on rears at 20K and measure in the garage where I can see well.

Sears noted slight slack in inner tie rod right side. I jacked it up and very slight but I am sure it is the BJ. Both replaced by Lin Dealer at 40K, I replace driver's side soon after buying it. Bad MC part. The right just checked is well within the 1/32" slack.

Just sharing.

-chart-

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Need to replace the Michelin Defender XT on my 2006 for the winter. I play the same tire game as Chart does but I have a set of General ArcticMax to install on the car that my youngest daugther drives in the winter. I use those take off tires and but them on my 2006 for the winter. I have been taking the XTs off my 2006 for two years now because the thread depth is not what I want for the winter. The XTs are warrantied for 90K but I only got 50 to 60K on them. BJ Wholesale Club is where I purchased them because they offer free mounting package on Black Friday. They said every set they sell they have to do a prorate on them because of warranty wear out. I think it is a trick to lock in a buyer to rebuy the brand of tire. Tires ride well and quite but never last as long a warrantied.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Replaced GY Assurance with Mic. Defenders on my Buick. Post in other rides.
Big difference is in handling. The Lucerne does not handle like the Lin Cont but it is a soft, long, car. The difference in handling quite noticed. The GY's were a bit sloppy and the Mics seem quick and confident. Much quieter than GY. Last experience with GY Assurance was on used Sable and the issue I remember is bad balance. Had to look at my pics to see which car. Wagon bought with them. My op. that much weight comes from tire not being round.

Driving the Buick every day now since my grandson is back from college for Christmas and working so driving my Sable sedan.

-chart-

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
12 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing