Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my sable sit for 5 months while we spend time in Florida in the winter. When we came back we saw evidence of mice taking over the the cabin compartment and trunk of the car (droppings, torn up napkins etc.) I cleaned out the car and set traps and so for we we caught 3. I checked the cabin filter and it was all crudded up with mouse droppings and acorns so I took it out and cleaned out the area around it. There are no holes in the screen that is under the filter so I don't think the mice are getting in that way. I and looking for ideas on where they are getting in and how to prevent it.
Thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
There is a plastic air duct that runs up the firewall between the transmission dip stick and the brake master cylinder and connects to an opening in the dashboard. How I know this is I had to do a R/R of the M/C this weekend and had to remove the duct from the end of one of the studs (the inboard one) that the M/C is mounted.

It looks like it might just be wide enough for a small mouse to crawl through. You might remove it (pull it off the stud) and stuff some wadded up metal window screen in it.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
A mouse can squeeze through a dime size opening.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I think there are air pressure relief vents/ports in the doors?
Usually have some kind a rubber flap over. Otherwise you would have the eardrums popping everytime you closed the door.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
There is also plenty of space where the wiring harnesses run along the sides under the carpet by the seats. They might be moving through there or even nesting there.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Any hole, whether it's from rust, vent, or even a missing drain plug (check under the trunk carpeting), is a point of entry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

You've given me some ideas to work with. re: moth balls. Does the car smell of moth balls afterward?

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Moth Balls

You've given me some ideas to work with. re: moth balls. Does the car smell of moth balls afterward?
That smell goes away quickly. Back in the day, people kept them in the closet and that smell goes out of the cothing in a few minutes.

Maybe best to use it under the hood also. Mice eat insulation off wires. And yes, I have had them build nests in my lawn mower engine. Makes a horrible smell when they get hot.:( That one does not go away soon.

I keep mouse bait in my shed. No new critters. Of course never consider that inside the cabin. Dead mice smell. That one will not go away soon.

And on a side note. My wife's mother had a car and squirrels took dog food and put it uner the hood and inside the air cleaner. Real mess.

-chart-

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well heres something not to do, rat poison!

The last thing you want is to have a mouse slowly die and craw in to your airvents or something to pass away.

Always kill them, no nice happy live stuff cause theyre like those dogs that somehow end up going cross country to find their masters.

A good thing to do is if youre leaving town for a while is to build a foot high fence made of reflective metal, they cant climb the slick surface.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mice are a nasty problem with cars! I had a 93 Pontiac Sunbird that I let sit in our yard for 5 or so months, and apparently mice got in. I didn't realize it until I went to leave for work that day and my car started smoking from one of the nests catching on fire lol

·
Registered
572 Posts
There was a time when my parents owned an Aerostar and a Windstar. Both cars were parked outside and were frequently used. One day during winter I noticed mice droppings between the front seats of both cars. I couldn't understand where they got in from. I set up some mouse traps but didn't catch anything. My dad would often take our dogs, so maybe the mice picked up the scent of food as we often fed our dogs in those vehicles. I never saw any droppings in my Contour at the time, but once in a while I would find some on top of the engine. I think the mice attempted to get into my Contour, but couldn't get past a door or a climate component. When using the heater in the morning, the car would sometimes emit a burning fur smell for a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
As a possible solution the next time your Sable has to sit for 5 months. Why not remove the tires and put it up on elevated jack stands and throw a few of those one way in metal mouse traps around the car as a deterrent. Or wrap it up the bottom with slightly heavy gauge plastic and secure the top with a heavy duty car cover.....while jacked up on an elevated jackstand with the tires off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts