Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Metra install kit for the Gen III, and I've been using it for over two years. All of a sudden, this weekend, the lights for the climate controls stopped working. The climate controls still function fine, but the lights no longer turn on when the car is started. I haven't had a chance to take the kit out and see if a wire just shimmied it's way out of a harness connection, but I wanted to solicit some ideas on possible fixes.

Help?

JR

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
My guess is you probably have a loose connection. If that's not the problem, you can always run a line to the cigarette lighter, one of those 3 wires is an illumination wire that dims with the rest of the interior lights.

·
Registered
933 Posts
the metra kit (at least the one I have) uses a strip of that illuminating plastic for the backlight, same stuff basically that is used in the factory oval. its very flimsey, I've taken my kit apart when I mounted LED's through it for my foglights and such. its not too hard to get out of there, just pull the kit out and check your connections. if everything seems secure, take a multimeter and see what's going on. hopefully its just a loose or broken connection, that can either be reattached, or maybe solder would be required. post back if that doens't get you anywhere, and we can try to talk you though some diagnostics good luck!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought there was no kit for the Gen III SHO? Doesn't it have the electronic climate controls???

JR

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
my gen4 did that, i took it apart, and wiggled the wires, put it back together..worked fine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts