Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just finished replacing my failed torque converter on my 2005 Taurus 3.0(vulcan? not sure). It is an AX4N (4F50N) transmission... The car has around 120,000 miles on it.

Everything is back together with no issues- I am test driving it- and getting a "check transmission" code where my digital fuel/trip/mpg display is(below the speedometer). It happens after it has warmed up and around 35-45 ish miles per hour(the couple times I saw).... Fluid level is full. TRS sensor is calibrated(lines on the sensor match the shifter) at neutral.

I'm wondering if there is a "reset" i can do myself before I go to a transmission shop to have them read the code for me. I do have a OBDII Scangauge- which does not see any codes when this happens. So all I have is "check transmission" with no other info.... Driving seems normal and no weird noises....

Basically wondering if i threw a code when the torque converter went out and it isn't reset yet- or if there is something with my repair work/new torque converter that I need to fix....

Thanks to all for the great write-ups and info on this board. I'm fairly decent with mechanical stuff- but without the help here I wouldn't have dug into an automatic transmission myself and saved all this money.....

Jimmy

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
If Scangauge wont clear it, might try disconnecting neg. batt. cable for a few mins.
Disconnect the battery for a good 15-20 minutes so that any and all capacitive electronics are fully discharged. If the light comes back, I'd get a scan done.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I doubt the new "check transmission" display is tied to the previous problem. I would read the code right away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I haven't been able to get to the transmission shop yet(they close the same time as I get off work). But, its looking like my torque converter isn't locking(not sure yet- can't tell 100% yet).... Still looking into it...

thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up....

Hello all, Just a follow-up to finalize this issue....

I never did get a chance to get the code read.

But, my torque converter was NOT locking- which was causing the code.

I thought I may have forgotten to plug in one of the solenoids on the valve body, so I dug back into it. Everything was plugged in correctly, so I removed the electronic pressure control and TCC solenoids and tested all(including shift solenoids) with an external power supply. All checked out, so I removed the valve body and checked the pump shaft/pump, etc since I was in there. I torqued the valve body and put everything back together.

I have not had the problem since(its been around 200 miles of various driving conditions). The "check transmission" code would happen immediately before(and I could tell the torque converter was not locking at that time)...

I did not torque the valve body the first time(didn't have a torque wrench- and decided to go on anyway)----- I believe this is what caused the problem(torque converter not locking).....

I'm not happy nor proud of this- just including this info in this post in case it might help others searching for similar problems....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts