Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 has developed a rattling noise that I could use some help diagnosing. The sound reminds me of the typical exhaust heat shield rattle, but after looking under the car, this does not appear to be the cause. I will look closer at the shields, but for now I need other suggestions.

The noise...

1. Only occurs right around 2500 RPM.
2. Only occurs when the vehicle is moving (no noise when revving to 2500 RPMS in park or neutral).
3. Occurs in any gear (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.)
4. Seems to maybe get quieter as the car warms up.
5. Overall has been getting gradually louder as the weeks go by.

As always thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I'm in a similar boat with the '93. Mine comes in around that same RPM range too. It seems like the harder I accelerate, the more pronounced it is. I'm praying broken cat instead of failing tranny. :blink:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
This may be right, or very wrong, but I once had that problem with a Dodge Shadow--it was my distributor had loosened up and was spinning slightly and rattling. I also had an 82 Mustang and the water pump made a rattling noise....

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
With all the tauruses we've owned, it sounds like it could be a heat shield that some models have between the rack & pinion and the firewall, and sometimes they put one between the transmission and the r&p but it usually just loosely pushes on to the transmission. Then again if you think it sounds more along the lines of exhaust related it could be the little "clip" on the corner of the transmission where the little bracket bolts, sometimes they break in two and sometimes they come un-welded from the exhaust pipe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts