Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for oil to have metal shavings in it after the car has sit a long time or is it more than likely the engine is toast. I was hearing stuff from the engine area, almost sounded like dirt knocking around in it. Car went to shaking all over when I stopped at a light. It went away after the oil change.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think I would continue to drive it cautiously, then change the oil at 5,000 miles. See if there are still metal shavings in the drained oil. If this is a serious problem it will manifest and quit before you get around to another oil change. I do not know why sitting for a year would cause metal shavings. Are you reasonably certain these are metal shavings? I had a 1976 318 Dodge that had metal particles in the oil changes. This went on for about 50,000 miles, junked at 220,000 because timing chain failed. I suppose if you have any of the changed oil you could have an oil analysis done. I have never had an oil analysis because they probably cost more than a DIY oil and filter change. Watch the engine for noises, problems, check the dipstick for metal particles. Good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
716 Posts
I hate to disagree with my fellow Coloradoian, but... I would give it about 500 miles, than get the oil changed, by this point the hope is to have all the metal shavings in the oil filter, and to get them out of there before oil pressure pushing them thru the oil filter.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
I hate to disagree with my fellow Coloradoian, but... I would give it about 500 miles, than get the oil changed, by this point the hope is to have all the metal shavings in the oil filter, and to get them out of there before oil pressure pushing them thru the oil filter.
Most metal does not move around much but the small ones will be in the filter. Pic of my look-see when I buy a used car. I poke a hole in the bottom and let it drain for a while. Then I use snips and cut off the bottom and some filter material. This is what I expect, DOHC at about 150K miles.
I had one experience in '85 LTD with a failing timing chain/sprocket. Tiny needle spears all around the pan. Engine un-damaged. Timing chain very noisy so clue about to fail.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil change was done by a mechanic. They said that there was a lot of metal shavings in the filter and oil, and that the new oil would cause the problem to get worse and worse. The car is running terrific so far. I will change it myself at around 500 miles and see how it looks. Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey Tollkeeper,

You do not have to disagree with me. Thought through this and your thoughts and advice is correct; A shorter change interval would be helpful in determining further wear and metal accumulation. Get it flushed out or find if there is a real underlying problem. I am of the generation of the 3,000 mile or three month change interval for oil. Many years ago I adapted to a 5,000 mile change interval. In this situation the 500 mile change makes sense. I agree with your advice.

Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
little off topic. bull sort of let me down and i made the mistake of leasing a car. BTW, NEVER EVER EVER EVER LEASE A CAR! anyway, i have to park bull for a while and part of the need to start him up, aside from the battery going dead is to move the tires a couple feet so there aren't flat spots on the tire, sounds weird but its a real thing. fyi. have a happy day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Metrocaat
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing