Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 with the 3.0 Vulcan engine. I bought it 3 years ago with just 63K on the clock - came out of Oklahoma with no rust or body damage - still looks very good today. At that time the cam syncro was squeaking and I replaced it with a Dorman product before reading about all the issues here. At that time I also did a lot of other work and maintenance - new plugs, plug wires, replaced the timing cover and water pump (massive leak), and the oil pan gasket. At 92K (January) I sent off an oil sample to Blackstone - it came back everything within the normal range. I then did a "high speed" run out to western Kansas running the car about 85-90 for 5 hours. Got out there, parked for the night and cold started it -8 degrees. The check engine light came on and stayed on - when cold the car had an intermittent miss. Couldn't fix it 4 hours from home and it seemed to go away when the car warmed up. Drove it back the 5 hours and replaced the coilpack fixing the problem. At the next oil change - 3800 miles - there was a sizable amount of metal flake in the oil that had never been there before. I didn't worry to much about it too much at the time. Just changed it again at 102K and there was a massive amount of metal flake and small slivers of metal in the oil. I haven't cut the oil filter to check it - yet.

Car runs fine -burns a bit of oil (has from the start) - usually its about on the low mark when I change the oil at 3000 to 4000 miles. Currently running fine with the same power its always had, no knocks or grinding from the engine - just a lot of metal in the pan at oil change time. Since I have owned it the car has only had Semi Synthetic Motorcraft 5W20 or Mobile 1 5W30 synthetic (the last oil change was Mobile 1)

Does the drive gear on the Dorman been known to shred itself over time? Or should I just dump the car before the massive infusions of cash start?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The synchro was installed 35K ago. I pulled it yesterday for a quick look - it is not the source of this metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
sousa632
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing