Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody changed their tranny fluid to Full Synthetic Redline D4? Seems to me this may be the only Mercon V fluid that is full synthetic? Ford Focus forums focaljet.com seems to work well in the Focus automatic trans-axle. Some claim on focaljet.com its the best stuff running.

See the link below for specifications:

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - D4 ATF

Another thing to keep in mind Mercon V is a specification. Could it be better than Motorcraft Mercon V?

Thanks.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
However, what does it do for your transmission? If you have a manual trans that needs Mercon, it is great. If you have an automatic, it does not fix the #1 cause of transmission wear, which is friction material that builds up in the fluid. You have to change it every 30,000 miles regardless of whether it is synthetic or conventional. In engine oil, the full synthetic allows extended intervals, which is where the synthetic really shines, but int he transmission, the friction material builds up to dangerous levels, and you have to change it at 30,000 miles anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
However, what does it do for your transmission? If you have a manual trans that needs Mercon, it is great. If you have an automatic, it does not fix the #1 cause of transmission wear, which is friction material that builds up in the fluid. You have to change it every 30,000 miles regardless of whether it is synthetic or conventional. In engine oil, the full synthetic allows extended intervals, which is where the synthetic really shines, but int he transmission, the friction material builds up to dangerous levels, and you have to change it at 30,000 miles anyway.
I'll have to say Yes and No on the 30K mile interval. When I didn't have an oil cooler I changed it every 30K miles. Here were my findings. 1st 30K miles a lot of "material" found at the bottom of the pan, 2nd 30K miles more material found but only half as much.

I'm past 100K miles very little material is showing-up and the transmission shifts great. I put a tranny cooler on at 120K miles one the better investments I've made to extend change interval to 60K miles. I'm now at 193K miles and fluid is just starting to change from red to pink.

Monsoon

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Regular mercon v is a synthetic blend, so i would think a full synthetic that satisfies the specs would be an even better choice.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regular mercon v is a synthetic blend, so i would think a full synthetic that satisfies the specs would be an even better choice.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Add full-synthetic + transmission cooler and I'm targeting another 60K mile oil change interval.

Its a beautiful thing.

Monsoon.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow-up with Redline D4 ATF

OK Gang:
Here are the features or benefits with this Mercon V fluid from the bottle:
  • 33% greater high-temperature viscosity
  • Excellent low-temperature shiftability
  • Less high-temperature evaporation
  • Keeps clutch faces and shift valves clean
  • Constant friction coefficient for perfect shifts
  • Less oxidation compared to petroleum ATFs
  • Compatible with petroleums and synthetics
  • Full-synthetic formula
  • Meets API 70w80 or GL-4 Gear Requirements

Dealer in the PHX-metro or ABQ-metro area: Desert Rat

Red Line Synthetic Oil
Made in the USA

After changing the fluid and filter (Motorcraft) with Redline D4 transmission shifts great.

I would recommend this synthetic oil for Mercon and Mercon V applications.

Monsoon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts